Fwd: TENT - Re: new to tent making

Corun MacAnndra corun at clark.net
Fri Jan 14 14:06:00 PST 2000

Joe wrote:
> ---- Stephen wrote:
>snip....
>
>>Can you please clarify what you mean by "lopsided wagon wheel"? If
>
>Sure.. I'm refering to a single center pole design.  The center pole has a
>hub just above head height, and spokes that radiate out from the hub to the
>shoulder of the tent.
>
>the hole arangement looks like a single wagon wheel and axle rotated 90
>degrees and planted in the ground, or like the spines of an umberella.

What you're describing is called (at least around here) a Pavalino). Master
Dafydd ap Gwystl introduced them to us in Atlantia and several have been
built. I believe he bases his designs from pictures in King Rene's book.
The hub, or wheel is not lopsided, in that it is round. The whole tent is
roundish, made up of triangular panels of canvas with their points going
towards the top. My Lady and I are building one for weekend camping events,
the 20' yurt being just a bit too much tentage to carry on a weekend.

>> you are referring to the wooden framed internal support structure,
>> there is no historical accuracy to it.
>
>I saw a picture on the web that claimed to be a  reconstruction in a Swiss
>museum of a 15th century design.  It used this structure, but you can't see
>where the rim would be, assumeing it's there.

DOn't know about that, nor the historical accuracy, or its lack.

>> Also would such a design require a rim hoop, or could it be done correctly
>> without it?

No, no rim or hoop is necessary.

>> > Would guy lines be necessary?
>>
>> Other than yurts (and other similar tents) most tents were simply
>> held up by the action of the main pole(s), the material and the guy
>> ropes and pegs. The use of internal support structures are
>> un-necessary.
>
>OK.. wouldn't that require an enormous amount of ground space to support a
>reasonably large tent?  What about the many period images of pavilions with
>no guy lines?  I was thinking that a rigid internal support would allow
>iether internal guy lines or no guy lines with the seems between the panels
>serving that function?

I have seen the with and without guy ropes. I believe Dayfdd's later
designs went toward no ropes. You stake down the outside bottom edges of
the canvas walls, the center pole with hub attached goes up and the spokes
go into the hub and poke into pockets on the sides of the walls. It's
really quite stable. We hda several up in Atlantian Royal this past
Pennsic, and Dafydd had his Megalino (about 40 feet in diameter and quite
tall) just up the road from us in Oldcastle camp.

In service,
Corun