Fwd: TENT - Re: new to tent making

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Fri Jan 14 15:24:51 PST 2000

Corun,

I knew you'd wade in on this one :)

Corun  wrote:

> Master Dafydd ap Gwystl introduced them to us in Atlantia and several have been
>
> built.

They are getting more and more popular--I had the good fortune to talk with
Master Dafydd when he and I were assisting Stephen Bloch on the Pennsic tent tour
this year, and was very impressed by his beautiful tent.  It would be beyond my
capabilities to set up, but they are certainly pretty :)

> I believe he bases his designs from pictures in King Rene's book.

mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib (mka Stephen Bloch) has webbed Master Dafydd's
design at http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/tents/kuijt.article/.  Dafydd says
his design is from an extant 15th C. Burgundian tent at the Bern Museum.  I've
written the museum before, with no results, but I wonder if the manufacturer of
the first duplicate he saw was Past Tents, one of the main UK historic tent
makers.  Their site at http://www.past-tents.demon.co.uk/home.htm shows the same
wagon-wheel type arrangement.  I've written them to find out the origin of their
design.

> >> Also would such a design require a rim hoop, or could it be done correctly
> >> without it?
>
> No, no rim or hoop is necessary.

A note about hoops---Mistress Barbary wrote an article, detailing tent supplies
from the records of the Tournament of Westminster in 1511.  The Royal Pavilioner,
Richard Gibson, included accounts of  purchased materials for the event,
including accounts of tent supplies that  need ropes, saplings, or 'hopes'
(hoops).  There are lists of iron rings and wooden staves, but after reading
through the material it looks like these were used on
 those pavilions that were mobile--used in the procession, then placed on the
 ground.  The pavilions that were not moved do not list these staves, and only
 list a single ring, probably for the peak.

Hey Corun, how's the mega yurt? ;)

Hugs,
Mira