Fwd: TENT - Re: new to tent making

Corun MacAnndra corun at clark.net
Fri Jan 14 17:53:17 PST 2000

Mira wrote:

>I knew you'd wade in on this one :)

Well it's your fault for hooking me up with this list. ;-)

>> Master Dafydd ap Gwystl introduced them to us in Atlantia and several
have been
>> built.
>
>They are getting more and more popular--I had the good fortune to talk with
>Master Dafydd when he and I were assisting Stephen Bloch on the Pennsic
tent tour
>this year, and was very impressed by his beautiful tent.  It would be
beyond my
>capabilities to set up, but they are certainly pretty :)

They are getting more popular. At the Corwn Tourney for Stephen and Niobe
we had two ro three pavalinos at 20' and a microlino at about 10' diameter.
Dafydd's it the biggest I've seen. I think that's why it was the main gate,
and set up right next to the Chapel of Cleanliness is Next to Godliness
(the camp shower replete with stained glass windows <G>).

>> No, no rim or hoop is necessary.
>
>A note about hoops---Mistress Barbary wrote an article, detailing tent
supplies
>from the records of the Tournament of Westminster in 1511.  The Royal
Pavilioner,
>Richard Gibson, included accounts of  purchased materials for the event,
>including accounts of tent supplies that  need ropes, saplings, or 'hopes'
>(hoops).  There are lists of iron rings and wooden staves, but after reading
>through the material it looks like these were used on
> those pavilions that were mobile--used in the procession, then placed on the
> ground.  The pavilions that were not moved do not list these staves, and
only
> list a single ring, probably for the peak.

That makes sense, though I admit my expertise is not in European tents.

>Hey Corun, how's the mega yurt? ;)

Still in the design stages, though I have been asking around about prices
for trailers. I really have to buy a copy of Autocad for home use.
CorelDraw only goes so far when it comes to architectural drawing.

Btw, I don't think you ever answered my question on the new yurt book, vis
a vis the bent roof poles. Are they a single bend, near the khana, or are
they a double bend, sort of a soft S shape, with an outward bend at the
khana and an inward one near the roof ring? This latter is the type of roof
I want on the cart yurt. Very like the roofs depicted in the Chinese and
Middle Eastern renderings of the Mongol's yurts.
                  ___
			) (
		     /   \
                /     \
               (       )

ASCII doesn't do it justice. The curves and slope are much too exaggerated,
and I can't show the top curve of the roof ring. But you get the idea.

In service,
Corun