Fwd: TENT - Re: new to tent making

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Fri Jan 14 15:30:26 PST 2000

> And that kind of brings up another question.  Did period tent makers piece thier tents together from narrow strips of fabric as we are typically forced to, or did the just weave enormous pieces of fabric?

I'll be honest and tell you that I haven't seen info on how wide the fabric panels are on extant tents, but I can tell you some reasons I would bet they pieced the fabric together. (besides the fact that so many of the pavilions show walls in varying stripes of color).

If you think about it, seams act as a secondary sort of structure on a tent.  They help reduce stretch and sag, and reinforce it against wind and rips that otherwise might continue across an entire wall/roof section.  I don't know hardly anything about weaving, but I don't think a 10' loom for tent fabric would be very easy
to deal with, either :)

Just a thought.  Any one else?
Mira