TENT - Another newbie with questions...

John LaTorre jlatorre at midtown.net
Fri Jan 14 22:49:12 PST 2000

Amicia Daelyngridge wrote:

> I am having problems figuring the pattern dimentions for the
> triangular bell pieces. My geometry isn't what it ought to be (I keep
> kicking myself and saying "oh, so this is when I would ever use geometry in
> life") and I wish I had paid closer attention in school. ;)
>
> The dimensions I wanted to go for were 10'wide x 8' deep x 8' high for the
> center panel section (300 sq ft.).
>
> Then (2) bells 8' high with a 4' radius (50 sq ft. each)

The last piece of information you need is  the width of the cloth you intend to
use. This would give you the options for the number of panels you'd use per end
(a minimum of three, but four would give you a more rounded look and a wee bit
more floor area inside. Five is even better, and six better yet, but there's
surely a limit to how much sewing you want to do.

With the dimensions you've provided, the width of the panels would be 48" for a
three-panel, and 37" for a four-panel. (These are finished dimensions, without
seam or hem allwance.) If you're using four-foot wide cloth, you'd probably get
a better cloth cut if you could bear to reduce the dimensions by a few inches or
so, because you're not going to get an efficient cloth cut and still have enough
seam allowance. Here's why:

Unless you're wealthy, you'd probably want to make each panel out of two
triangles formed by cutting rectangles diagonally into "sub-panels," and then
sewing the biases together. This gives you a lot less wastage. If you're using
four-foot wide cloth to make a three-panel end, the sub-panels will be about 23
1/2" wide,  not quite enough to get the necessary width plus the seam allowance
you'll need.

If, on the other hand, you're using wider cloth (like 60"), you'd be able to
split it into pieces about two-and-a-half feet wide, and still have inches to
spare for your seam allowance.

Again using the dimensions you provided, a four-panel end would give you a panel
width of 37 inches, which is  an awkward dimension for 36" cloth. But if your
cloth is four feet wide and you don't want to compromise your final dimensions,
the four-panel configuration is the way to go.Your sub-panels would need to be
about 18 7/8" wide, plus the selvage. The 48" wide cloth, split lengthwisw into
24" widths, would give you the necessary extra for seam allowances.

Either way, your panels are going to be about 107" long ... same for the panels
forming the front and back. Again, that's without hems or seam allowances.

If you're using 36" cloth, the best cut would be a five-panel end, with the
panels being 30" wide at the bottom ... again, lots of extra for seams.

I'll be happy to send you a measured drawing (in bitmap or Jpeg format) once you
decide which way you want to go, clothwise.

--

John LaTorre (Johann von Drachenfels)

"Always do right. It will gratify some people & astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain