TENT - Re: Tents and Pavilions

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Fri Jan 14 08:43:21 PST 2000

My Lady,

My lord husband doesn't play SCA anymore, and sometimes the other
married lady who cames with me cannot go, so I've given your question a
lot of thought :)

My recommendation would be for a conical tent.  They are very period,
hardly even seen, can fit in many different time frames and cultures,
and are easily assembled.  You could either have an attached floor or a
separate ground cloth with markings or loops where to stake down the
wall of the tent.  Then you stake them down, put in a center 'portable
hole' (usually a piece of pipe welded to a large stake) for the pole,
and pop the pole in--VOILA!  Instant tent.  All you have to do to
disassemble it is pick up the centerpole and run out the door.  If you
had extreme weather, you could add two or three guy lines from the peak
to the ground, to help make sure the pole wouldn't move.  It would be
very wind stable because there are no walls to get hit by wind gusts.

Other fairly simple tents would include a geteld or type of a-frame. I
am also making it so I can put my Turkish yurt up by myself, but the
bulk of the frame and canvas might be more than most people would want
to deal with (sorry Sunjan).

Good luck to you on your project! :)

Mira