[TENT - [Fwd: [Fwd: Fwd: al-jisr: Fw: Stand back - the winds kicking up]]]

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Mon Jan 17 08:56:08 PST 2000

Wendy Freeman/Otte wrote:

> (OK, I confess: The real reason for building this tent as soon as possible is
> that we non-fighters want that *stinking* pile of armor out of our sleeping
> area! And we can't convince her to dump it out in the rain...)

Sometimes there just isn't enough Febreeze in the world, is there? ;)

> ...or see
> if I can figure out what the Romans were using a few centuries earlier - since
> the early Scots stole many ideas from the Romans, it seems logical.

You may want to look at the beautiful goatskin recreation of a Roman tent at
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/~nantiq/arma/contents/recon/tent/tent.htm.  Romans used leather tents (so
far we have NO evidence of fabric tents at all.  The only hint I've heard is someone told me
once that the officers' papillae had fabric walls, so they didn't weigh at much).  Still, a
walled tent would be the right shape for that time period.

>  Another
> option would be to steal from the Vikings - but everyone's doing that.

Turnabout is fair pl.....well, you get the idea :)

Mira