TENT - Need help hanging my walls

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Wed Jan 26 14:49:52 PST 2000

M'lord Rhys,

Congrats on your new tent!  What an ambitous and spacious choice for a first
tent :)

About hanging the walls--I've used the fabric strip with buttonholes before,
and had good results.  The trick is to make sure that you use nice large buttons

and don't space them too far apart.  If you do, you will wind up with the weight

of the wall pulling down in the place it has been buttoned, which will make your

walls droop in between, and the bottom of the wall will be uneven on the ground
(not very pretty).  Also, you will want to remember that the weight of the
wall will exert a certain amount of pull on the seam on the roof--be sure to sew
this
so it is NOT opening up on the edge of the roof (you will wake up swimming
during
a serious rainstorm, which is no fun).

You mentioned the rope--I wonder if you are talking about Stephen Bloch's use
of rope at http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/tents/secondkr.html
I had the good fortune to talk with Stephen about his tents, and get a tour a
couple
years ago at Pennsic, and was very impressed by the beauty and practicality of
his
pavilions.  On his web site, he mentions the strip method they use, and says,
"We're
not sure whether it's better to have buttons on the strip and
buttonholes on the walls or vice versa, but important: make
the walls are inside the strip, rather than outside. This way
any water that seeps in through the seam where the strip
attaches to the roof will fall on, and run down, the outside of
the wall, rather than falling straight down onto whatever you've left near the
walls. "

Good advice! :)

Keep us posted,
Mira