TENT - Need help hanging my walls

Corun MacAnndra corun at clark.net
Wed Jan 26 11:58:03 PST 2000

Rhys wrote:

>I am in the process of building my first pavillion (yay!) Basically an
>approximately 14 ft diameter round (read 10 sided) single pole tent.  I
>would appreciate some advice on how to hang my walls preferably without
>having to use a hoop or frame and hopefully without a rope either.  My
>current idea is to simply sew in a sturdy strip of fabric with button or
>toggle holes on the inside of the roof behind the dags and corrisponding
>toggles or buttons on the walls.  I'm hoping that this is a feasable idea
>and my dear Mumsy (read mother) with gazzillions of years of sewing behind
>her  (uh don't tell her i said that)  seems to think it is a workable
>design.

I have seen this done, however the toggles should be on the roof and loops
of webbing material (about 1/2" wide) should be sewn on the walls.

>Please let me know if you have any alternate suggestions or support for this
>design (I'd really like to hear from people experienced in making period
>tents although I trust Mumsy, I don't wanna look the fool when I go to set
>up my new tent..ha ha)

But that's half the fun, fixing your mistakes onsite when you're trying to
get it set up in time to sleep in it or miss that oncoming rain storm. The
first time I raised my yurt was at Pennsic. Right off I ripped the door
frame apart and had to nail the frame together until I cold get it home to
repair it. Then a couple days later I noticed that I was getting much
closer to the ceiling of the yurt. Now either I was growing, or the yurt
was shrinking. What happened was that my roof poles were the same diameter
as the holes in the roof ring, and they were sliding through. I had to put
the raising poles (four aluminum expanding tent poles) back in place, raise
the ring as much as I could without taking all the canvas off, and leave
them in place the rest of the war. These two mishaps promted Modification
#1 (along with replacing the roof canvas which was both too small by about
six inches, and dark green like the walls which makes it really dark
necessitating in the lighting of candles during the hot, August days). But
we learn. I don't really mind reinventing the wheel now and again. It's
when I reinvent the flat tire that I really get peeved.

In service,
Corun