TENT - Painter's Tarps and timeline

Rebekah Sams winterhart534 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 15:50:58 PST 2000

Rhys wrote-
<snip>
The material I bought (large 12 X 15 painters tarps, an
idea also gleened from this list and the florigieum sp?) was so cheap (came
out to about $2.75 a yard) that I couldn't help myself and bought four so I
had the equivelent of about 48 yards of 60 inch material. It seemed a shame
to buy it and not put it to good use.  Ha ha..<end snip>

I used the same material for my household sunshade. Just have to reinforce
the heck out of the grommet sites though. But you have to do that on just
about every fabric that I can think of, anyway :-)

Next, I have a question for the list at large. How long do most of you
veteran tentmaker's take from start to finish? I started my pavilion last
year, after years ( yes I do mean YEARS) of making plans and drawings and
scale models ad nauseum. I had to put it on hold due to a major case of
life, including my ex wrecking my car and unforeseen health problems
culminating in emergency surgery on my part. So now I am healthy and single
and have March Crown and the rest of the tourney season rapidly approaching.
What keeps you going? I know I am way behind the curve as far as progress. I
am having trouble with the concept that it does not have to be spot on
perfect in order to be a good, solid, functional piece of equipment. I
*really* started second guessing myself when the canvas shrank so much when
I pre-washed it. Even though I had figured in extra for the shrinkage and
extra on top of that!! (Really I did!) I guess I am just in need of a
cheering section, and people to tell me that I *can* actually do this.
Comments and war stories most gratefully received,

Thanks,

Rhieinwylydd