PE - RE: A question about the tent

Kim M. Herron kherron at dttus.com
Fri Jun 23 15:17:59 PDT 2000

Andri,

     My apologies for the seeming confusion in dates and other things.

- The existing tent has its finial mounted on the roof cap on top of the
tent.

- The other roof cap is from some other tent, and the info from that roof
cap says it is from 1661.  I have added the photo of the caption card to the
link for that roof cap.

- There were two or three other finials on the wall.  (I just took a picture
of the one that clearly existed before 1600.)  My understanding is that
these are from other tents that no longer exist.  (just the finial
remains...)

One would certainly assume that a finial is of no use without a tent, but
that THIS TENT was not around in 1591.  My impression of the finials (and
what I could understand from the staff) was that the finials WERE removable
( and therefore replace-able), but that it was not often done.   (Why would
some lord or baron want a different finial than "his own" ?)

respectfully,

                     Terafan

Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon           barclayp at eucom.mil
Brewer and probably other things I can't think of...
Seneschal, Incipient Shire of Blauwasser