PE - pot heaters

SuZaimware@aol.com SuZaimware at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 15:12:06 PST 2000

one thing that we do on cold nights is to heat a castiron pot of medium size
stones, then bring them into the tent -- they serve to take off the chill
until you get warmed up in your bed!  I don't suggest putting them IN the bed
though, they get hot enough to burn you or your bedclothes, depending on
their materials....

we haven't done it yet, but another thought for warmth (at least at bedtime)
is to add a canopy to our rope bed that would allow us to create a curtained
bed -- the rest of the tent may be cold but we'll be warm in the bed!

my personal trick is to wear a woolen hood to bed -- i find that if my head
and shoulders are warm, so am i!

a completely non-period, but quite effective technique from a friend of mine
is to lay a space blanket down underneath your sleeping gear; it reflects the
heat back up and creates a barrier for the cold air coming up from the
ground...

In service,
Maryz the Somewhat Scattered
(who also likes to be warm!)