PE - camping in snake country

Corun MacAnndra corun at clark.net
Mon Oct 2 03:57:55 PDT 2000

wolf wrote:

> that was a classic demo that we (camp staff) gave to debunk
> snake-myth .. put out rope, add rattler to center, watch it make a
> bee-line away from humans over rope ...

That must have raised some eyebrows, especially for those folks who
believed the rope would deter the snake.

> > More importantly remember; you are not Steve Irwin. ;-)
>
> is that that the aussie crocodile geek ???

That's him. ;-)

> a point to remember, *we* (human / evolved-primates) are
> top-of-the-food-chain ... ergo, unless we are really foolish, all
> other species will usually give way )if we gove them a chance)- lest
> we kill and in some cases devour them.  and snakes *hate* humans and
> unless cornered will usually give way.

I seem to recall that there is one species of American snake that will
chase humans. When I was young I would often visit my cousins in Tennessee
and once we were chase by this snake. It was either a copperhead or a
water moccasin, I can't recall. I don't recall that we did anything other
than walk across the cow field to a pond to go fishing and didn't
deliberately seek or annoy this snake, but suddenly there it was and there
we went. Any comments on this?

Corun