PE - Ropes or not to rope!

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 3 20:31:18 PDT 2000

At 9:30 AM -0500 10/3/00, Stephen Mills wrote:
>We had several people that thought stakes and ropes were dangerous. I ,
>myself have had my leg cut very deeply when I rubbed against the rebar metal
>stakes that we use. Soon after we came up with the idea of pieces of old
>garden hose cut to length and slipped over the stake. Makes for a much safer
>environment.

But a less period looking one. So, for that matter, does rebar--iron
was expensive in period.

We use hardwood stakes. You can trip over them, but they are likely
to do you less damage than the rebar.

Neither of our tents has external ropes, which solves the problem of
stumbling over those (except, of course, for the external ropes of
other tents in our encampment). It also reduces the risk of stumbling
over stakes, since you aren't normally walking right against the edge
of the tent, which is where the stakes are.

--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/