PE - issues with a rope bed ... was Bedding types

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 3 20:15:16 PDT 2000

At 4:21 PM +0200 10/3/00, Barclay, Peter C. MAJ wrote:

>My rope bed is different from Cariadoc's, and can be seen at
>www.greydragon.org/furniture/ropebed.html

>3) It seems very difficult to get the ropes tight enough with only one
>person.  I use someone to help me (after the bed is laced).  Each person
>sits on the ground on opposite sides of the bed.  I start by bracing against
>the rail with my feet and pulling the first rope as tight as I can.

This is part of the advantage of the bed design I am using. In
effect, you have a pulley with a 12:1 mechanical advantage tightening
the bed (minus some losses because the ropes aren't pulling at quite
a right angle, and a good deal of frictional loss). You need that,
because you are tightening the whole thing at once, so are pulling
against ten strands of rope (but they are a good deal farther from
right angles, which gives you some extra mechanical advantage).

See the article I have webbed at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/rope_bed/rope_bed.htm

In the article, incidentally, I misstate the mechanical advantage;
I'll fix it one of these days.

On the subject of lumps where the ropes cross ...  . The people from
Mirkfaelin who have also made beds based on the same picture (one of
them originally discovered the picture) knot the ropes at every
intersection. That is a lot more work than interlacing them as I do,
but presumably makes it easier to take the bed apart and then
reassemble it.  Two of them slept on the beds at Pennsic, so I assume
the knots aren't particularly uncomfortable.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/