PE - Norse A Frames

housedragonstar dragonstar1 at prodigy.net
Tue Oct 3 08:00:25 PDT 2000

I read an article stating that in order to "set" the frame on a Norse wedge, one could make the top ridge pole slightly shorter than the two ground poles.  When the tent was raised, this arrangement result in the gables being at a slight angle to the center of the tent and would exert outward pressure on the bottom frame and make it square and taut.  This would negate the need for ropes to stabilize the frame.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I am not trying to avoid ropes altogether, just to minimize their use.

If we do go for the short term Sams 10X20 metal frame, we know that we will have to do some roping and staking for stability, lest it take a roll across the list field like the one at Elfsea Defender this past month.

Lastly, does anyone know when the latest use of a Norse a-frame would be?

Medb Liath