PE - tents and smalls

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Oct 4 10:46:45 PDT 2000

At 4:12 PM +1000 10/4/00, Stephen Wyley wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Just my usual quibble about the lack of evidence for the spoked
>wheel design, other than those used in parades of course.

I think if you look at Daffyd's article on Stephen Bloch's web page
you can find a fair amount of evidence, such as pictures of
pavillions partly fallen down and holding their shape. At least, that
was in the printed version I was working from, and I think he has
gotten it onto the webbed version, although I'm not sure. It isn't
proof, but it is evidence.

>Why lug a wooden wheel around when ropes will do the job?

You aren't lugging around a wooden wheel--just a hub and spokes. For
the size I use, that means a piece of hardwood about 6"x6" plus
twelve 6 1/2 foot long 1x1's. Probably less weight in total than the
ropes would be.

And ropes don't do the job as well. For one thing, they require a lot
more space. For another, they don't hold the shoulder up as well. For
a third, they substantially increase setup time. That is part of the
reason I replaced my old pavillion (and the article in the Miscellany
describing how to build it) with one using the hub and spoke design
(and a shortened version of Daffyd's article).
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/