PE - Spoked wheel design .... was Ropes or not to rope!

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Oct 4 16:49:04 PDT 2000

At 7:06 AM +1000 10/5/00, Stephen Wyley wrote:
>Dear Terafan,
>
>You have done your research well. However, I think it best that we
>agree to disagree on the information supporting an internal
>structure for tents.
>
>Looking at your long list of reference I see no mention of any
>extant examples but only artist interpretation of tents, which in
>itself is open to interpretation.
>
>I do believe such artistic representation can be used to infer tent
>design features but cannot be used to conclusively prove one.

I agree--but that is true not merely for the hub and spoke design but
for alternative designs as well. I have never myself seen a
description of any surviving period tent, although I believe there is
at least one late period (or just out of period?) one in existence
that some friends of mine based their latest tent on.

Conclusive proof is in short supply in this area as in many others.
But your original comment referred to "the lack of evidence for the
spoked wheel design." Lack of evidence is a very different thing from
lack of conclusive proof.

--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/