PE - tents and smalls

joesilas@writeme.com joesilas at writeme.com
Wed Oct 4 17:17:28 PDT 2000

Greets,

The spoke wheel designs also typically have fewer poles then the same sized round tent with side poles.  and are considerably easier to pitch by a single person.  (Note there has been some speculation as to how common side poles are in period. There seems to be little documentation for them.)

A round tent with no side poles has an enormous footprint compared to the same sized spoke wheel (sometimes called a pavalino.)  The reason being that without the side poles, the guy lines have to be anchored further from the tent to keep the roof taught.

As long as we are quibling 8o)  Has anyone found any detailed documentation for how the Tudor dormered pavilions where done?

Regards,

Andri

 ---- T'was writ:
> > Just my usual quibble about the lack of evidence for the spoked wheel
> design, other than those used in parades of course.
> >
> > Why lug a wooden wheel around when ropes will do the job?

And responded: