PE - Mira and Stephen Two great people

Mira (Tanya Guptill) tguptill at teleport.com
Wed Oct 4 18:49:02 PDT 2000

Stephen Wyley wrote:

> I have Mira to thank for starting me on this road of research

That'll teach you to be inquisitive--you now have the Project That Will Not Die! :)

> plus the many people whom have contributed to my tent site and they are;  Professor Peter Alford
> Andrews,

I dropped a note to a local Nomads list about his new book--absolutely AMAZING.  Sixteen hundred pages, two volumes, with only two of the illustrations being ones that I've seen
before.  He put twenty-two years of research on near eastern tents in this book, and also has extensive information on tents on carts--both practical and ceremonial tents.  It
was about $150 American, but for those of you interested in non-European tentmaking and research, I would count this book as being a cornerstone in my library.  Most of the
information is from extant and eyewitness accounts, mostly in period.    Includes Turkic, Mongolian, Persian, Indian, Arab, Chinese, Kyrgyz, etc etc...

Oh yes--It is called FELT TENTS AND PAVILIONS.

Mira