PE - Structure tents

SUNJAN yurts at home.com
Thu Oct 5 21:37:15 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: firehorse <firehorse at swbell.net>
Subject: Re: PE - Structure tents

> Thank you guys.  This is all very good information.  I haven't built/bought my
> first period tent yet.  You have given me much to consider.  I'm finding it
very
> informative reading your differing points of view on tent support.
> I have a question about getelds and yurts.  How tall are the sides and
centers?
> Lady Edith

De-lurking for a moment, Sunjan says:

Your measurements will vary between individual builders, but my 18' diameter
yurt has walls 5' tall and the ring sits at 9 and a half feet off the floor. The
12' diameter yurt has 4' walls and the ring sits about 6.5'-7' high (a tall
person can reach up and put the roof poles in during setup). And it's true,
there are NO stakes, guy ropes, OR interior roof supports - just all kinds of
unobstructed free space. The ring and roof poles will support all kinds of
hanging lights without being either a fire danger or a headroom problem (in the
18' yurt; tall people whack their heads on the 12' roof). In extreme wind
weather, I would consider staking, but because the ropes don't extend past the
bottom of the wall they won't be tripped over. The period way to literally
'anchor' a yurt for high wind was to tie a strong rope to the ring and tie the
lower end to a very large stone. I would hang my 24" steel wok and then fill it
with my jewelry............heavy enough to hold against the highest wind :-)

My yurt business is in nearly full stop right now due to a recent move to a
rental house with no garage, shop, or basement to work in. Barely subsisting
using a free-scrounged 10' x 20' Nintendo-brand ex-exhibition tent as emergency
shop. We ran an extension cord, hung a light, wished for heat...........and are
getting used to hauling all the tools in and out of the house every time. I also
have a 3 shift rotation full-time mundane job..................my apologies to
anyone who wants a 'Sunjan yurt' for the next little while..........

I am a great believer in doing it yourself - that's how I got MY first
yurt..........

If you decide you really want a yurt, the average person (male OR female) can
build it themselves using fairly basic tools. A borrowed table saw, drill (hand
or table standing), sander of any kind, and some sewing skills. The cone shape
of the roof fabric is not as difficult to figure out as it seems. The tension
band can be as simple as steel-core clothesline closed with clothesline clips
into a circle exactly the size of the yurt diameter, simplifying the setup.

P.S. - 'portable' planers............aren't...........

P.P.S. - MY spellcheck tried to suggest 'firehouse' was what I Really Wanted To
Say, too :-)

Back to lurking/sleeping.......
Sunjan,
Assimilation Laurel.......