PE - Spoked wheel design .... round or sectional

Mira (Tanya Guptill) tguptill at teleport.com
Sat Oct 7 20:11:48 PDT 2000

Master Terafan wrote:

> Mira (unknowingly) challenged me with one of her comments.  I *LOVE*
> a good challenge, and especially one that makes me go back and verify my
> research.

I figure that is what a group like this is for--sharing resources, and raising
each other's knowledge and level of research.   I'm up for anything new I can
learn!   :)

>  I had to do some digging, and I
> need to go do more because I can't find the reference for where these
> pictures comes from, but I have added two pictures to the "OTHER TENTS"
> http://www.greydragon.org/pavilions/othertents.html
> My question to Mira is: "Is this an illustration that matches the pavilino
> design much more closely??"

I took a look, and here are my thoughts:

--The first picture is the closest to a pavilino design being feasible that I've
seen, though I'd have to credit Master Dafydd's design with being prettier (note
the odd sunken appearance of the roof fabric right behind the bottom/exterior
line of the roof.)  The detail on this picture is so good, the sunken roof
fabric makes the possibility of an interior rigid structure much more
plausible.  Note also that the tent has such tall walls that spokes would not
inhibit headroom, even that of a man in a helm.

--The second picture--well, I can't concur on that one.  No guy lines are shown,
but the wide flare of the walls may make that unnecessary in a hooped pavilion.
I think the segmented roof lines are simply panels of fabric sewn together, and
the roofline looks smooth to me, as if it were hooped.  This picture is not as
detailed

> I will find the reference in the next few days and update the webpage with
> that info.

Great--I have to admit that I'd seen the first picture before, but can't recall
the provenance.   I'd be curious as to the whens and wheres....

Thanks for the lead! :)
Mira