PE - Spoked wheel design .... round or sectional

Barclay, Peter C. MAJ barclayp at eucom.mil
Sat Oct 7 12:08:24 PDT 2000

Greetings from Master Terafan,

	Mira (unknowingly) challenged me with one of her comments.  I *LOVE*
a good challenge, and especially one that makes me go back and verify my
research.  It took me a couple of days to find what I was looking for, and
so...

Mira's makes two comments about historical tents being round (with a smooth
roofline) and NOT sectional:

>--The tents I have seen in illustrations show a
>smooth, round exterior at the bottom of the roof.
>The pavilino design is not smooth, and depending
>on number of spokes, may looks hexagonal or octagonal.
>There was a beautiful pavilino set up in the vendors'
>area at Pennsic, and I reexamined it to try to make
>it correlate to what I've seen in paintings.  Over
>and over again one sees the round, sometimes taut,
>hoop-like line of the round tents in history--I don't
>see this in the pavilino design.

followed by:

>Since it is very possible that there was internal
>structure on some round pavilions, it looks feasible to
>me that spokes could've been used in conjunction with
>some sort of hoop, but until I see illustrations of
>octagonal/hexagonal/etc.. tents, I am unable to see
>an exact match between the pavilino design, and historical
>tents.

Well, I knew that I had seen at least one.  I had to do some digging, and I
need to go do more because I can't find the reference for where these
pictures comes from, but I have added two pictures to the "OTHER TENTS"
page.  The first one (to me) clearly shows an uneven roofline.  I count 7
visible sections.  According to my math, this is what you would get if you
went with 8 foot spokes and 60" canvas.  (I have been considering sewing one
this size for a while... I want a bigger one!)  No, this image in this
painting is not of a 16 foot diameter pavilino, but neither is the base of
the sections 60 inches.

http://www.greydragon.org/pavilions/othertents.html

My question to Mira is: "Is this an illustration that matches the pavilino
design much more closely??"

I will find the reference in the next few days and update the webpage with
that info.

respectfully,

                     Terafan

Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon           barclayp at eucom.mil
University Chancellor, brewer and probably other things I can't remember...
Seneschal, Incipient Shire of Blauwasser