PE - Structure tents

Corun MacAnndra corun at clark.net
Sun Oct 8 07:15:04 PDT 2000

Todric wrote:

>        Well, it's obvious from Corun's response that I didn't explain
>clearly what I meant. How about this? Next time of our mutual convenience,
>I'll bring a dozen or so volunteers to simulate the conditions I'm
>describing (wind pressures from gusts exceeding 80 MPH) and you can stand in
>your ger and watch the poles up near the ring (I'll be outside, taking
notes).

Todric I'm surprised you'd even suggest such a silly idea. You must know
that no matter how many people you get you're not going to be able to
accurately simulate the effects of wind on a structure simply by pushing on
it. For such a test you'd need a full sized yurt set up in the wind tunnel
at the NASA Lewis Research Center up near Lakewood, OH. I for one am not
going to pay for time to rent it however.

No amount of pushing on ger walls is going to simulate how wind wraps
itself around a structure. You need wind for that, and unless the dozen
people you're beinging are incredible blowhards they're not going to
simulate an 80 MPH wind.

Besides, I think that long before you get a ger to oval out the wind would
be pushing it along the ground or flipping it over. I think what you've
experience with roof poles falling out in heavy winds is merely a sloppy
fit of flat poles in a roof ring. The whole thing needs to be tight, from
the fit of the poles in the ring to the tautness of the girdle cord and
belly band. I seriously doubt that the nomads living in the Steppe or the
Gobi, where much higher winds than 80 MPH would occur, would build a
structure that would be in danger of having the roof collapse due to an
ovaling effect caused by wind.

>        The volunteers will push your ger from opposite sides, and you can
>see the results for yourself. :-)

To wax even sillier a moment, given that there are only two sides to a
round structure, if half your people are inside pushing out and the other
half are outside oushing in, they'd tend to cancel each other out, no? ;-)

Corun