PE - Re:Wind Tunnels; was Structure tents

Todric todric at raex.com
Sun Oct 8 12:44:03 PDT 2000

At 10:15 AM 10/08/2000 -0400, Corun wrote:
<snip>

>Todric I'm surprised you'd even suggest such a silly idea.

        Come on, Corun! You know me better than that! :-) Who else do you
know who's liklier to come up with massively silly approaches to proving a
point??  :-)

<snip>
 I think what you've
>experience with roof poles falling out in heavy winds is merely a sloppy
>fit of flat poles in a roof ring.

        Not my personal experience; I interviewed several folk who's gers
came down at Lillies a few years ago; the one that stood had the
modification I described, and the owner attributed the survival to the
modification. One of the other's owners (no second loop) described the
failure as I've described it (she was holding on to the canvas when it
happened). Both gers were staked down.  After thinking it thru, I decided to
incorporate it, on the better-safe-than-sorry criteria. None of mine have
ever had this failure, and I want to keep it that way. :-) The flat-poles
into a slotted-disk ring is old technology; two generations ago. It works,
it's cheap, it's reliable if you do it right, but there are better ways... ;-)

>>        The volunteers will push your ger from opposite sides, and you can
>>see the results for yourself. :-)
>
>To wax even sillier a moment, given that there are only two sides to a
>round structure, if half your people are inside pushing out and the other
>half are outside oushing in, they'd tend to cancel each other out, no? ;-)
>
>Corun

                Another fine example of the Physics of Gers. Give yourself a
gold star, Grasshopper!  :-)

        Todric