PE - Re:Wind Tunnels; was Structure tents

Corun MacAnndra corun at clark.net
Sun Oct 8 18:33:07 PDT 2000

Todric wrote:

>At 10:15 AM 10/08/2000 -0400, Corun wrote:
>>
>>Todric I'm surprised you'd even suggest such a silly idea.
>
>        Come on, Corun! You know me better than that! :-) Who else do you
>know who's liklier to come up with massively silly approaches to proving a
>point??  :-)

Um, well, all right, yeah. <G>

[snip]
>        Not my personal experience; I interviewed several folk who's gers
>came down at Lillies a few years ago;

Ok, so the information on the ovaling is second hand. Personally I still
think it's more an effect of vibration on a poorly fitted roof ring, but
that's just me.

[snip]
>After thinking it thru, I decided to
>incorporate it, on the better-safe-than-sorry criteria. None of mine have
>ever had this failure, and I want to keep it that way. :-) The flat-poles
>into a slotted-disk ring is old technology; two generations ago. It works,
>it's cheap, it's reliable if you do it right, but there are better ways...
;-)

Yes, there are better ways. And as the name of the mail list suggests,
there are better period ways. I believe that since the nomads had the
technology to craft wood in a myriad of ways, including flat roof poles,
that if that would have been a better solution they'd have been using them
a thousand years ago. They didn't and so, for my money, it isn't. But hey,
this is the SCA. You aren't going to often find dwellings that will pass
the muster at something as rigorous as say MTA (Military Through the Ages)
unless you visit Cariadoc's camp, but he tends to be the exception. Now
there are a bunch of folks in An Tir who are doing some really spiff tents.
One of them was recently made a Laurel for her research into and
construction of period gers (Mistress Sunjan the Assimilation Laurel). One
of these days, if I have the time, I'll probably rebuild all my khana and
use rawhide instead of quarter inch hex head screws. But I still won't be
using artic willow, and I'll still probably have a third as many pieces of
lath per section as in period (we tend to drill the holes 12" c-c whereas
most khana is about 4.5" c-c, making for a wall section three times as
dense). But for now, those screws are on the inside and not seen.

Jeez listen to me willya. When did I become such a pedant. <G>

Corun (no Laurel, just trying ot do it right)