PE - Re:Wind Tunnels; was Structure tents

Mira (Tanya Guptill) tguptill at teleport.com
Tue Oct 10 12:28:34 PDT 2000

Todric wrote:

> which I think you'll agree we all do to _some_ extent when we spend weeks
> living away from the safety of the 20th Century, with little more than a
> layer of canvas between us and the meteorites... :-)

LOL! :)  Reminds me of those Wile. E. Coyote cartoons, where the puts up the
little umbrella to stop the falling boulder....

For the record, my roof poles are square. The ends that go into the roof ring
are cut at an angle, thus 'locking' them in so they don't twist.  I have often
wondered if the yurt failures I hear of sometimes aren't a combination of
various factors:

--too low a pitch to the roof.  From what I've seen, the Mongols have one of the
lower pitches to their roofs of all the nomadic, lattice-walled tent users, and
I've seen a lot of gers in the SCA that have a lower pitch than the Mongol ones.

--Bad setup--door into wind or not enough ropes over top or not staking ropes
down in stormy weather.
--A Really Big Wind That Will Not Be Denied.  We just had a funnel cloud come
through south of my town, which demolished a nice new barn...tornadoes happen.
--too few roof poles--so many people overengineer and use fewer, larger poles.
This changes the stress distribution.
--Insufficient exterior tension.  This is a biggie, because I see a lot of yurts
with old rope or just decorative tension bands, sometimes improperly placed too
far down the wall.  My yurt has a steel core clothesline, covered, the weaves in
the top of the derim (khana/lattice wall).  I think those bad tension band
problems are another reason so many yurts HAVE such a low pitch to the roof--it
is busy pushing the wall out!

Just my two piastres,
Mira