PE - Re:Wind Tunnels; was Structure tents

Todric todric at raex.com
Mon Oct 9 15:50:36 PDT 2000

At 09:33 PM 10/08/2000 -0400, Corun wrote:

>>        Not my personal experience; I interviewed several folk who's gers
>>came down at Lillies a few years ago;
>
>Ok, so the information on the ovaling is second hand. Personally I still
>think it's more an effect of vibration on a poorly fitted roof ring, but
>that's just me.

        And I would have agreed with you, except for the eyewitnesses and
the round roofpoles...
        Granted even so, I think it comes down to "playing the odds" or not,
which I think you'll agree we all do to _some_ extent when we spend weeks
living away from the safety of the 20th Century, with little more than a
layer of canvas between us and the meteorites... :-)

>Yes, there are better ways. And as the name of the mail list suggests,
>there are better period ways. I believe that since the nomads had the
>technology to craft wood in a myriad of ways, including flat roof poles,
>that if that would have been a better solution they'd have been using them
>a thousand years ago. They didn't and so, for my money, it isn't. But hey,
>this is the SCA.

        Mmmm. I respect the concept of "period", but I'm not sure I track
your analogy about the lumber; you know that sectional lumber didn't become
widespread until the advent of the gang-saw, and that the Steppe nomads
would not have had ready access to large-trunk trees anyway.
        They used what was available, and still do, as far as I know.
Whether they'd have modified their designs to use 1 by3's (assuming they
were available) or not, I'm afraid there's no way of ever knowing. (No, I'm
not going to fund the time-machine research to find out! :-))

>Jeez listen to me willya. When did I become such a pedant. <G>

        August 10th, 1987 or `88, wasn't it?; must'a been around 2 o`clock,
maybe 2:30. Remember? You were showing me the cool way you incorporated your
table and some aluminum poles and angles to hold up your ring during
setup...then we drank some of your Scotch...<G>

>Corun (no Laurel, just trying ot do it right)

        Me oot!    ;-)

        Todric