PE - Ger structure

Mira (Tanya Guptill) tguptill at teleport.com
Tue Oct 10 15:07:10 PDT 2000

Corun MacAnndra wrote:

> (mira wrote:) My yurt has a steel core clothesline, covered, the
> weaves in
> >the top of the derim (khana/lattice wall).  I think those bad tension band
> >problems are another reason so many yurts HAVE such a low pitch to the roof--it
> >is busy pushing the wall out!
>
> Here is the biggest problem. So many people put in only what I call a
> girdle cord. This is a cord that weaves in and out of the khana at the top
> and makes and keeps the whole round before you put in the roof poles.

<good observations snipped for brevity>

I should've been more specific--my tension cord goes outside three sets of crossed
lattice wall poles, at the top of the wall, then lies in between the fourth set,
then outside for the next three... I also have  a canvas and woven trim (no cool
totally woven yurt band--YET) band that ties around the top of the lattice,
covering the bottom of the roof overhang and the top of the wall.  This gives it a
nice, even, tight tension.  This is a common band placement for Turkoman yurts.

Mira