PE - Ger structure, continued :-)

Todric todric at raex.com
Tue Oct 10 20:37:21 PDT 2000

>Mira wrote:
>>
>>For the record, my roof poles are square.

        Mine too, except that I round-off the end that plugs into the ring,
which is then drilled at a precise angle. It makes a nice, snug fit.

>If you put square poles into a square hole, and they fit tightly, then they
>don't really need to be at an angle.

        I think she meant the roof-pitch angle, Corun.

> They're not going to twist. The
>problem I pointed out to Todric comes with the ubiquitous 1x2 flat (okay,
>for the record rectangular) poles in an ill fitting hole.

        That's because folk don'tunderstand "the iris effect". They place
their ring blocks radially rather than in parallel pairs, so naturally they
end up with a ring that will rotate, and is liklier than not to "iris" under
stress. If the poles are allowed _any_ side-to-side motion, the ring will
have the same freedom of rotation. QED

I don't know if
>you've come across this type of design out your way in An Tir, but in the
>Middle and the East this design has permeated many yurts.

        And it's probably my fault for not making the directions more clear;
hundreds of copies of those old "plans" of mine and Alan's are still
circulating out there, thanks to Ogami. I almost wish there was a way to get
them all back, but some folk -paid- him for them. Oh, well... Mea Culpa, Mea
Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. Live and learn. :-)

> It's an old
>design as Todric pointed out, and, if done right, can work. But if any roof
>ring and pole arrangment is done Right<tm> then it shouldn't need the extra
>supporting ropes tied up near the roof ring to prevent twist because it
>won't twist. This is the whole thrust of my comments.

        Oh!
         Why?
        I didn't say anything about rectangular poles (ill-fitting or
otherwise); I wasn't talking about my old "flat-disk & blocks" rings; and I
wasn't referring to any twisting or "iris" forces. Nothing I make twists or
rotates that way.
        No, the extra cord doesn't in any way prevent "twist"; it has
nothing to do with "twist" and nothing to do with how snug the fit is for
any pole. It simply prevents the poles from unplugging from the ring when
the forces on the wall are grossly uneven.
        Remember the little pins I suggested that you add to the ends of
your roof poles? The ones that kept the poles from sliding inward through
the holes in your ring? This cord works as though there were pins on the
_inside_ of the ring, keeping the poles from _pulling_ (not twisting) out of
their holes.
        Should I post a picture to illustrate this?

        In hopes that most folk grok what I'm rappin', and find some value
from it...

        Todric