[PE - Getald pattern]

Wendy Freeman/Otte wyllow at netscape.net
Wed Oct 18 06:37:17 PDT 2000

But the one I saw had the ends sewed closed, in the bell-shape.  These all
have open ends, and resemble strange-looking pup tents.  I would expect them
to need ropes to keep the lateral tension even, too.

I'll check your book references, see if maybe it's an interpretation of an
illustration.  The oval tent mystery remains unsolved.

--Wyllow

"Stephen Wyley" <svenskildbiter at angelfire.com> wrote:
> Have a look at:
>
> http://www.42nd-dimension.com/NFPS/nfps_geteld.html
>
> or
>
> http://www.srl.rmit.edu.au/charles/Nordmannia/news/tent.htm
>
> BTW, our garrison of the New Varangian Guard converted our Viking Tent into
Getald just be exchanging the poles. Getalds are some much easier to transport
and set up.

> I guess it depends how you stack out the front and rear of a getalds wall
base it may appear to be bell affect. Also these areas are good for storage,
especially the rear section.

> ---
> Bye for now,
>
> Sven
> (Stephen Francis Wyley)
> Fortifications (Dictionary of Military Architecture, etc).
> http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/index.html
> Archery, Arms, Armour, Chests, Tents, Trebuchets,
> Vikings, Woodwork.
> http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/index.html
> Arrow Fletching, Turbow Longbows & Yoretymes Emporium of History
> http://svenskildbiter.webjump.com/index2.html
>

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:52:04   Stephen Wyley wrote:
> >Hi Wyllow,
> >
> >For more information see;
> >
> >924 A.D. (Book of Maccabees, from St.Gall)
> >10th century (Canterbury Psalter)
> >10th -11th century (Psychomachia of Prudentius)
> >
> >http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Tents/10thcentury/10thcindex.html
> >
> >I will chase up the web site where the patterns are and get back to you.
> >
> >---
> >Bye for now,
> >
> >Sven
> >(Stephen Francis Wyley)
> >Fortifications (Dictionary of Military Architecture, etc).
> >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/index.html
> >Archery, Arms, Armour, Chests, Tents, Trebuchets,
> >Vikings, Woodwork.
> >http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/index.html
> >Arrow Fletching, Turbow Longbows & Yoretymes Emporium of History
> >http://svenskildbiter.webjump.com/index2.html
> >

> >On 17 Oct 00 12:56:06 CDT   Wendy Freeman/Otte wrote:
> >>Sven, you caught me - I have no reference.  The gentle (I think it was
Toli, I
> >>know it was someone from MagMor, Calontir) who built the large oval tent
had a
> >>reputation as an excellent researcher, and I took him at his word.  My
web
> >>search, triggered by your challenge (and rightly so) has produced no
obvious
> >>results.  So, can anyone help me find the reference I am sure exists?
> >>
> >>Here is what I remember from my conversation with him, 4 years ago - it is
an
> >>Anglo, Saxon, or both tent from ?before 1000AD?.  It uses no ropes,
depending
> >>on the cloth of the tent to hold it up - the roof & sides are one cloth.
Its