[Periodencampments] Yurt Assembly

Bruce McKinney brucem at pobox.com
Thu Nov 1 09:02:04 PST 2001

Corun,

I found your name in a long message about yurt structure when doing an
internet search. The message was part of a discussion thread in an unknown
forum from 2000. I couldn't tell who you are except that you obviously know
a lot about yurts. The message mentioned a web site with pictures of a
Mongolian ger, but the address is no longer valid.

Recently through a series of unusual circumstances I purchased a Turkoman
yurt. The friend who bought the yurt in Pakistan believed it came from
tribesmen in Afghanistan. Alas, it did not come with assembly instructions.
I understand the general idea of how to put it up, but the details are
fuzzy. I am looking for practical information on how to assemble it.

Apparently there are very few authentic yurts in the United States, and few
people who know enough about them to put one up. As far as I can tell, no
one in my isolated community in New Mexico knows about authentic yurts,
although I have encountered several people who have experience with modern
yurts. I would appreciate any information you can provide or referrals to
other sources. Thank you.

Bruce McKinney
Box 53174
Pinos Altos, NM 88053