[Periodencampments] Yurt Assembly

John LaTorre jlatorre at midtown.net
Thu Nov 1 10:07:00 PST 2001

Bruce McKinney wrote:

> I found your name in a long message about yurt structure when doing an
> internet search. The message was part of a discussion thread in an unknown
> forum from 2000. I couldn't tell who you are except that you obviously know
> a lot about yurts. The message mentioned a web site with pictures of a
> Mongolian ger, but the address is no longer valid.
>
> Recently through a series of unusual circumstances I purchased a Turkoman
> yurt. The friend who bought the yurt in Pakistan believed it came from
> tribesmen in Afghanistan. Alas, it did not come with assembly instructions.
> I understand the general idea of how to put it up, but the details are
> fuzzy. I am looking for practical information on how to assemble it.
>
> Apparently there are very few authentic yurts in the United States, and few
> people who know enough about them to put one up. As far as I can tell, no
> one in my isolated community in New Mexico knows about authentic yurts,
> although I have encountered several people who have experience with modern
> yurts. I would appreciate any information you can provide or referrals to
> other sources. Thank you.
>
> Bruce McKinney
> Box 53174
> Pinos Altos, NM 88053
> 505-534-0858
> email: brucemATpoboxDOTcom

The person you really need to talk to is Master Sunjan, who
is (AFAIK) the only tentmaking Laurel in the SCA and has
made many traditional yurts. She's based out of British
Columbia, but I've forwarded your contact information to
her. Her email is yurtsAThomeDOTcom

My understanding is that she's planning to be at Estrella
War, so if you can contact her in advance, you might
planning on going, too, with yurt in tow, and she can give
it a look-see and tell you what you need to know.

--

John LaTorre (Johann von Drachenfels)

"Always do right. It will gratify some people & astonish the
rest."
--Mark Twain