[Periodencampments] Spam ain't Period :-)

Bob Williams bobwilliams at zianet.com
Mon Jul 29 13:46:06 PDT 2002

> -----Original Message-----
> From: periodencampments-admin at ansteorra.org [mailto:periodencampments-
> admin at ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Garthman42 at aol.com
> Has anyone made a fixed wall, pavilion?
[My Reply...]
I am not a huge fan of fixed wall pavilions (unless you are thinking of
the so-called "A" frame Roman campaign tents)

For a Western European pavilion design I would strongly encourage you to
reconsider and go to a removable wall design for several reasons:

1. Ventilation - you can unhook walls (or drop them entirely) to allow
air flow - a so-very-important thing here in the hot dry southwest :-)
2. Weight and size - and it DOES matter. Putting up, say, a 12x12 fixed
wall is going to require a lot of strong folks to lift all that canvas -
and hold it in place until secured. Removable walls, OTOH, are easily
put up by 2 (in some cases 1!) people.
3. Other reasons mentioned by Maredudd - use as shade by
Royalty/Nobility, use as shade by YOU
4. I mentioned ventilation, didn't I? :-)
5. Ease of drying out - it's easier to drape walls and a roof over
assorted walls and vehicles to dry canvas after a wet event.

Hope this helps!

Gwydion