[Periodencampments] Spam ain't Period :-)

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Jul 29 07:48:31 PDT 2002

>Gabriel Johnstone (BBR) wrote:
>
>>  Has anyone made a fixed wall, pavilion?  I am currently finishing my tour in
>>  Korea and will be returning to the states shortly.  Upon my return I have
>>  several projects in mind, but first on the list is a square, fixed wall,
>>  pavalino design pavilion.  I am interested if anyone has any advice on known
>>  week points in that type of design, or if there is a recommended minimum
>>  slope to the walls on a fixed wall design.  I have only made tents with
>>  detachable walls that clip or tie on, so this is uncharted territory for me.
>  > That's in advance for your assistance.

After David Kuijit showed me his hub and spoke design, I first
replaced my old pavillion with one based on his (I think what you are
calling a pavalino) and then replaced the article in the Miscellany
(a book my lady wife and I produce and self-publish on our SCA
interests) describing how to make ours with an article by him
describing how to make his. Of course, my old design may not have
been the best way of making a detachable wall pavilion.

My tent is about 13' in diameter at the shoulder, 18' at the ground,
made of tent weight canvas. I can set it up, single handed, in about
half an hour. The old one took a lot longer and a lot more work.
Also, the new one is much more space efficient, which is important at
Pennsic, where space is limited--no guy ropes. I don't think making
the new one was any more work than making the old--the hard part in
both cases is the roof.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/