RF - fighter practice

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Sun Apr 15 15:20:19 PDT 2001

I am not fighting for the next couple of
weeks until my order for new lens gets here.  Without
contacts I can't tell a tree from sir Kief.

First of all is our seasonal weather.  Ansteorra has
two seasons for fighting warm and HOT.  In the less hot months
of the year 2 in the afternoon is a nice fighting time and
a practice can last till about dark.  In the HOT season
I usually fight from about 5 till dark or after dark.
It makes a large difference in the amount of heat and shade.
This is a safety issue that varies with seasonal heat and
daylight.  Folks other than waterbearers and heavy fighters
do not think in these terms.

Fighter practices usually last for 4-6 hours.  If you don't
have that much time to devote to the job get multiple deputies or
entrust the job to someone who can put in the time.  Yes it is
one of the more demanding jobs timewise in the barony.

I can bring up some fighters from other groups I know
if they are wanted.  Conroe is a nice location
from this point of view.

Does the barony have armor to train new fighters in?

My work at kingdom restricts the amount of fighting I can
do at events so I would really like a local practice
to keep in shape.  I have been by 4 practices this year
and no one was there.  It seems people drop by the practice
at different times and if no one is there they leave.  We
are missing each other like ships passing in the night.

Bryn Gwlad and Stargate have lots of non fighters at practices.
If we do demos in a park we will need marshalls to watch the
crowd.  Pets and children love to investigate us close up.
I can't see a small child very close up while wearing
a helm because of the field of vision.  These groups also have
other activities such as A&S, herald consulting, some folks
in garb, picnics or just visiting with people in the group.

Has anyone talked to our neighboring groups about fighter
practices?  Has anyone considered visiting other fighter
practices?

It is also possible to designate like the first or last
Sunday of a month to be a traveling fighter practice
to several different sites.  The rest of the month it stays in
one place.

Right now I have to go to Bjornsborg on Sundays to fight.
Not a happy situation.

You wanted thoughts on this problem so now you got em.
Magnus von Lubeck