RF - fighter practice

Carla Southern clarissima at excite.com
Sun Apr 15 19:24:23 PDT 2001

It would be great to have multiple deputies, but it took almost 1 YEAR to
find 1 deputy much less several.  And it really isn't the issue of time to
devote to the office. Fighter practice starts at 2 pm, why should the knight
marshall have to wait 2-3 hours for someone to show up to practice?  If time
is an issue, change the time.  Yes, we do have loaner gear.

Clarissima

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:20:19 -0700, Ravensfort at ansteorra.org wrote:

|  I am not fighting for the next couple of
|  weeks until my order for new lens gets here.  Without
|  contacts I can't tell a tree from sir Kief.
|
|  First of all is our seasonal weather.  Ansteorra has
|  two seasons for fighting warm and HOT.  In the less hot months
|  of the year 2 in the afternoon is a nice fighting time and
|  a practice can last till about dark.  In the HOT season
|  I usually fight from about 5 till dark or after dark.
|  It makes a large difference in the amount of heat and shade.
|  This is a safety issue that varies with seasonal heat and
|  daylight.  Folks other than waterbearers and heavy fighters
|  do not think in these terms.
|
|  Fighter practices usually last for 4-6 hours.  If you don't
|  have that much time to devote to the job get multiple deputies or
|  entrust the job to someone who can put in the time.  Yes it is
|  one of the more demanding jobs timewise in the barony.
|
|  I can bring up some fighters from other groups I know
|  if they are wanted.  Conroe is a nice location
|  from this point of view.
|
|  Does the barony have armor to train new fighters in?
|
|  My work at kingdom restricts the amount of fighting I can
|  do at events so I would really like a local practice
|  to keep in shape.  I have been by 4 practices this year
|  and no one was there.  It seems people drop by the practice
|  at different times and if no one is there they leave.  We
|  are missing each other like ships passing in the night.
|
|  Bryn Gwlad and Stargate have lots of non fighters at practices.
|  If we do demos in a park we will need marshalls to watch the
|  crowd.  Pets and children love to investigate us close up.
|  I can't see a small child very close up while wearing
|  a helm because of the field of vision.  These groups also have
|  other activities such as A&S, herald consulting, some folks
|  in garb, picnics or just visiting with people in the group.
|
|  Has anyone talked to our neighboring groups about fighter
|  practices?  Has anyone considered visiting other fighter
|  practices?
|
|  It is also possible to designate like the first or last
|  Sunday of a month to be a traveling fighter practice
|  to several different sites.  The rest of the month it stays in
|  one place.
|
|  Right now I have to go to Bjornsborg on Sundays to fight.
|  Not a happy situation.
|
|  You wanted thoughts on this problem so now you got em.
|  Magnus von Lubeck

Grazie
Clarissima

"If . . . you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a
horrible warning."
--Catherine Aird