RF - fighter practice

Hrafnhildr _ ravaenwlf at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 17:58:21 PDT 2001

Heilsa all!

Everyone else has been giving there 2 cents, so I think I shall supply my
own. As a member of the fighter practice committee, I have spoken with the
others on the committee on this issue and they have agreed with what I am
about to say. I do not suggest that I am speaking for that, but based on our
conversations....this is our thought:

Fighter practice should NOT be changed from the pavillion. It is a
convenient and public place that people are used to seeing us at and we are
used to going to. It should be EVERY Sunday at the same time (maybe a little
later or earlier than it is now).

Candy Cane is NOT a good place for practice. We are only visible to those
folk in the park and have recruited a very few number of people from that
area. However, I agree that a quarterly or every other month tourney is an
EXCELLENT idea which would encourage more than just fighters to come out. If
this is well advertized in advance, attendance should not be a problem.

Private fighter practices are a GREAT way of supplimenting our local
practice. There was a "Kierstead" practice happening on Tuesday nights for
awhile there, I personally would enjoy this option again, as Sir Kief
approves, of course. But other private practices, such as the Lizard Keep
Rapier on Wednesday nights have worked out extremely well for a lot of
people. These practices should not replace the official one, but should
instead SUPPLIMENT it!!!

Further note, I think fighter practice should not be called fighter
practice. I have heard tales of other artisans coming and demo'ing their
arts (including bardic) at the gazebo on Sundays. This is GREAT!! There are
a lot of people who are interested in the SCA for MORE than fighting and
this is a way we show a lot of the other things we are capable of doing! BUT
in the middle of the 100 degree Ansteorran summers, everyone gets mauled by
the heat, so perhaps a later summer practice would be possible?? This way
the artisans could come out as well! And perhaps we could call it the "SCA
Practice" hinting at all the things that the SCA teaches and encourages us
to be a part of...something like that.

Again, these are only my opinions and do not necessarily mimic those of my
fellow committee or baronial members.

Ldy Hrafnhildr Ulfsdottir