RF - fighter practice

kezia kezia at wt.net
Mon Apr 16 21:59:27 PDT 2001

I am soooooo glad to see that people have thought about this and are now
finally responding. I had tried to get this started the last of March. I
have been keeping all e-mails about fighter practice and notes from when I
spoke with others. A simple tally shows:

Fighter practice should NOT be changed from the pavilion. It is a convenient
and public place that we are used to going to. Most of the current fighters
are in that area at this time. Same place and same time.
(maybe an hour or so later)( I also feel that the marshal should keep a
water cooler)

Private fighter practices are a GREAT way of supplementing our local
practice. These practices should not replace the official one, but should
instead SUPPLEMENT it!!! New fighters are sometimes more comfortable in a
private setting at first. Private practices can also be much more flexible
to schedules.

Other artisans used to come and demo'ing their arts (including bardic) at
the gazebo on Sundays. This is GREAT!! There are a lot of people who are
interested in the SCA for MORE than fighting and this is a way we show a lot
of the other things we are capable of doing! Other groups encourage this
also.
(changing the name is not necessary)

Have mini-tourneys in Conroe, The Woodlands, Shepherd, Willis, Madisonville,
Trinity, archery at the site etc., to pump up membership. These are usually
more organized and people respond better when we have an activity taking
place. We have large holes in our zip code area that have not really been
tapped yet, and a mini tourney-demo might be the edge we need to get a foot
in the door in some of these areas. We need to hold mini-tourneys with all
the trappings, everyone in full grab, pavilions, A&S, a few simple prizes or
a mock court for show, and water.
(in my opinion, quarterly is often enough we do not want to burn out, and we
need time to build up a good show)

I "stole" several quotes from different people :)
People were questioning and wanting different things. Now that we have
thought, and talked about it, most people want the same thing. We need only
to DO IT.

Kezia
in service to the people