[Ravensfort] Raven's Heart

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Wed Jul 18 18:17:24 PDT 2001

I will very rarely respond publicly to a private posting.
This is one of those exceptions.

I received the note that contained this snippet. I have no idea who sent it
since I do not recognize their email address. I tried to reply privately,
but their return address is fake.

Bullballs at ev1.net did write.

>Where the fuck does being a Raven Heart give you the right to
>post that patriotic bullshit. Just because you and David are
>members of some elitist order does not give you the right
>to tell people to quit.
>>
>You wrote:
>>
>>If you feel you must quit, then do so. I however remain a Raven Heart.

Actually let me give you a little history Ass-Breath (Can I call you that?
Since I don't know your name.) When I was made a Raven's heart, Keif and
Alix called me into court. I am not the premier Raven's Heart. That
distinction goes to HL. Robert. I think I was the forth Raven's heart. I was
going to make a scroll for HL Robert, and I have the text that was read that
night. Maybe you need to hear a little of it.
... it is Our Pleasure to welcome (Name of person) into the Order of the
Ravens Heart with all the responsibilities and privileges thereto
appertaining.
See what it says! I have rights! I was sitting in the Baronesses lap at the
time, because I had been fighting all day and I had a massive leg cramp when
I kneeled down on the cushion thing. It also says:
We further charge (Name of person) to sustain their efforts and remain the
highest example of the Life Blood that flows through the Heart of the Raven.
See there is my duty! I was charged to keep the spirit! At least that is how
I interpreted that line.

Lets first start and establish one thing about all SCA Royalty. And I mean
no disrespect to DSD, Berta, Keif or any one else. Being Royal is a courtly
thing. The rest of the time they pee the same way everyone else does. If you
get out a bit you will find that the SCA has things to offer other than "The
Courtly Power Game." I like brewing, but I really enjoy sharing my brew with
good friends. I like drawing scrolls when I have the time, but I really
enjoy having some friend of mine get a scroll of mine. I like wood carving,
but it is more fun to watch event after event someone use a spoon I carved
for them. It is sad that your SCA experience isn't complete with out this
kind of behavior. I do not consider you to be a Raven Forter. I don't care
where you live. I could care less if you are dissatisfied with the process,
because your very attitude keeps you from being a Raven Forter in my
opinion.

SO, what is that Raven Fort spirit all about anyway? Raven's Fort is unique.
It has a large number of people that are just starting in the SCA. Most of
them are college students. Since 1988 I have made a lot of friends. Many of
them have moved on to other places after they graduated. One aspect of
Raven's Fort has always been youthful enthusiasm. It also comes with a sense
of loss. One of the great things is sitting around the fire and raising a
toast to those who have moved on. Keagan, Moriel, Detlif, Devin, Duck, etc.
(I could go on for pages) There are also those stalwart individuals that are
always there in the back ground. Twin Cedars, Keif, Zork, Gwen, Berta,
Brian, Marius, DSD, Alaric and many others. Being a Raven Forter means doing
a lot of work, that new people will never know about. It means doing a lot
of things that you will not get credit for. It means doing something so you
can enjoy the comradery of good friends. I take great pride every time
someone says "Those stones are so cool." Most people have no idea why this
makes me proud. I could careless if anyone knows why the stones are a source
of pride to me. I am more pleased that someone has been touched in some
small way by the them. I remember how cool they were the first time I saw
them at the old site. Being a Raven Forter is about those kind of warm
memories. Its about making those same memories for others. If you don't want
to enjoy my friend ship, then I do hope you will go to another group that
will make you happy. In the future, You will gain more respect from me if
you will confront me directly, or sit down and have a beer or seven with me.
I assume since you hid your name, you have no honor, and you are a coward.
Good beer would probably be wasted on you. I hope some day you will learn
what it means to be a Raven Heart. Every time I put that great big huge
Raven Heart on, I think about the first one that I got. It belonged to
Horoun. He gave it up when I was made a Raven's heart. I gave it up when
Mort was made a Raven's Heart. And to Mort I raise a glass in toast of those
who have moved on to another place.

Athaulf Swienbrothar