[Ravensfort] baronial guard

Paul Gilbert niklas at wt.net
Fri Jul 20 22:56:18 PDT 2001

At 07:41 PM 7/20/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings unto the populace,
>
>Let it be known that we of the Baronial guard under
>charter from their Excellencies are increasing the
>number of our guard to a total of fourteen members.

Greetings,

As the incoming Baron and Baroness of the Raven's Fort, We will in the
future and at Defender of the Fort 2001, using the Guard in new and
expanded duties both on the war field and ceremonial duties.

Please, those that have any interest in serving their Barony in this
capacity, contact Ld. jean-michel de Meaux, Capt of the Guard as to
membership and how one can help.

You do not have to be a fighter. There will be duties that do not require
one to fight.

Many of the new duties will be in the arena of ceremonial presence and
assistance of Royals, nobles and others of the realm.

I have placed below the Charter of the Guard so interested parties may see
what they will be expected to do.

Any questions can be directed to Capt of the Guard Ld. jean-michel, TE
David & Chrystal, HL Kezia or myself.

In Service....

HL Niklas

Charter of Organization for the Baronial Guard of the Barony of Raven's Fort
Kingdom of Ansteorra

A.  Purpose of Guard:
         1.      Ceremonial support during court and processions.
         2.      Escorts, assistance and logistic support for Baron and
Baroness and other visiting Royalty.
         3.      Interactive support staff at Baronial events.
         4.      Provide sentries and wardens for meetings.
         5.      Act as good will ambassadors for the Barony at events and
demos.
         6.      A military unit in the line of battle.
         7.      Other duties as assigned by the Baron and Baroness.

B.  Organization of the Guard:
         The Baronial Guard of Raven's Fort shall consist of the following:
         1.      A Captain of the Guard
         2.      A Lieutenant of the Guard
         3.      12 rank and file members of the Guard.

         There will be a total of fourteen (14) members of the guard.

C.  Structure of the Guard:
         1.  There is, at this time, one category of membership in the
Baronial Guard, full
  membership,  which charges the member(s) of the Baronial Guard with the duty
  of protection, promotion and service to the Barony of Raven's Fort, the Baron
  and Baroness of Raven's Fort, The Populace of Raven's Fort and the Crown of
  Ansteorra.

         2.  Members of the guard are selected in the following manners:
                 a.  One member is appointed by the Baron (Barons Choice)
                 b.  One member is appointed by the Baroness (Baroness' Choice)
                 c.  One member is appointed by the Seneschal (Seneschal's
Choice)
                 d.  Six members are elected by a vote of the populace.
                 e.  Five members of the Guard will be appointed by members
of the Guard.

         3.  Guard members must meet the following requirements:
                 a.  Be an active member of the Barony for the past six
months or more.
                 b.  Maintain membership in the SCA, Inc.
                 c.  Be willing to make a 2 year commitment to attendance
and service to the Barony and the
                         Guard.

         4.  Terms of Service:
a.  Guard members shall serve terms of duty lasting no more than 2 years.
It may be extended at
the pleasure of the Baron and Baroness.
b.  Guard members that become inactive for more than six months may be
reviewed for possible
         dismissal.
c.  A Guard may voluntarily resign for any reason, at any time.
         5.  Election of Officers:
                 a.  The Captain and Lieutenant of the Guard shall be
elected by the members of the guard.
                 b.  Upon retirement, removal or resignation of an officer,
the guard will hold an election at the
earliest time possible  and fill the position. However, the Baron and
Baroness may choose
to appoint someone to the position.
                 c.  Election of the Captain of the Guard shall be overseen
by either the Baron or Baroness of
                         Raven's Fort.

         6. Duties of Officers:
                 a. Lieutenant of the Guard:
                         (1)  To work with the Captain of the Guard or
whomever the Captain assigns him/her to
assist in carrying out the activities of the Baronial Guard.
(2)  The Lieutenant will keep a brief written record of the Guards meetings
and activities
for the Historian files.
                         (3)  Other duties as assigned by the Captain of
the Guard.

                 b.  Captain of the Guard:
                         (1)  Oversee all Guard activities.
                         (2)  Oversee all Guard elections
                         (3)  Organize or assist in the organization of
Guard activities in court and other events.
                         (4)  To lead the Guard in times of war or appoint
a unit commander if needed.
                         (5)  Oversee the removal of Guard members when needed.
                         (6)  Oversee the payment of the Guard.
                         (7)  Assist the officers, royals and assigned
other persons in activities of the Barony.
                         (8)  Other duties as assigned by the Baron and
Baroness.

         7.  Uniform of the Baronial Guard:
                 a.  The Guard shall wear tabards made in the following style:
                         As set forth by The Baron and Baroness of the
Barony of Ravens Fort.

         8.  Induction into the Guard:
                 a.  Upon appointment or election to the Guard, the new
members shall be presented in court where
                         They shall give an oath of service in their own
words to serve the Guard and the
Barony and be presented their uniform of the Guard.
                 b.  New members may only be inducted by the Coronet with
the Captain and other Guard
members present.
D.  Payment of the Guard:
                 a.  The Guard shall be paid by the Coronets of Ravens Fort
each year at Defender of the Fort.
                 b.  Payment shall be agreed upon in advance and be
presented in evening court.

E.  Rights of the Coronets:
                 The Baronial Guard of the Barony of Raven's Fort is the
personal guard of the Baron and
Baroness of Ravens Fort. The Coronet of Raven's Fort therefore reserves the
right to personally
command the Guard, request service of the Guard, require members of the
Guard as escorts or
make other reasonable requests of the Guard members. The Coronet also
reserves the right to
reverse decisions of the Captain regarding activities and actions of the Guard.

                 Data Marketing Associates, Inc.  |  Houston, Texas
                         pgilbert at datamktg.com  |  281-579-2995
                                        www.datamktg.com
Paul Gilbert, KE5ZW     H.L. Niklas Vasilevich, CSM, KGA, Crane, ORH
Huntsville, Texas           Seneschal of The Barony of Ravens Fort
niklas at wt.net	               Kingdom Secretary, Kingdom of Ansteorra
936-291-9532               Society for Creative Anachronism