[Ravensfort] Perspectives, Part Two

Kief av Kiersted sirkief at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 02:18:01 PDT 2001

Heilsa Cedric and all those good and true Ansteorrans that read these
words...

You did post the two missives found below:

******************
>From: "Peer2" <Peer2 at email.msn.com>
>Subject: [Ravensfort] A little perspective, please.
>
>My name is Lord Cedric Aeschere Einarsson. I have had the honor of being
>one
>of the candidates for the Baron's position. I was under consideration along
>with Lady Katrine Karlsdottir. To those who supported our nomination, you
>have my thanks. To those who did not, you also have my thanks.
>
>Some of you evidently know little about me. I will remedy this now.
>
>I joined the SCA in the summer of 1987. I played in Raven's Fort for three
>years, then left this Barony (then Shire) for personal reasons. I played in
>several groups and several Kingdoms during this time. I returned to Raven's
>Fort in February 1999 and have been here since then. That's a total of 15
>years, six of which were within Raven's Fort.
>
>I was granted my Award of Arms in April of this year, under the reign of
>Jason and Saereid and by the hands of Their Excellencies David and
>Chrystal.
>To those who supported this reccomendation, you have my eternal gratitude.
>had given up completely on ever getting this, the most fundamental of all
>SCA awards.
>
>I am a Sweinbrothar and am on the House Pharus. I have been honored with
>associate membership in the Fire Monkeys and, despite what some think, I do
>consider it quite an honor. I have formerly been a member of House
>Hammerhand (now called House Kiersted) and the ill-fated House
>O'Comhraidhe.
>I have had the honor of serving as (then) Squire Kief's Page, but I left
>his
>house because of an irreconcilable dispute with another member of his
>House.
>
>I am currently the Live Steel Marshal for this Barony, and have served as
>deputy Seneschal, Knight Marshal,
>
>I am no one's sworn man, nor am I oathbound in any way to anyone in this
>Barony. I am my own man. I have never reached great heights of achievement,
>nor have I striven to. Such things carry a price which is often not worth
>paying. But the greatest achievement I had reached was my integrity. I had
>never before broken any promise I have ever made.
>
>Until the matter of the B&B selection came up.
>
>I given my word to a man of Raven's Fort and failed to carry out my
>promise.
>I promised Marius that I would push to get all the questions about the B&B
>selection resolved before the polling. Despite my best efforts, I failed.
>For that, Marius, I am deeply regretful. I depended too heavily on the
>integrity of others. It was a mistake I will not repeat.
************************

Your bona fides are accepted Cedric. I can vouch for most everything that
you said in the first part of the letter.

However, exactly who's integrity are you calling to into question here?
Please be specific.

There were many questions to be answered before the polling. Exactly which
one's went unanswered? Please be specific.

Generalities are not conducive to precise point and counter-point in
debates.

*************************
>That failure cannot be undone, but now I find myself dangerously close to
>making another failure. One that would cause me to break my word to many
>people, including the Crown. I promised Their Highnesses (at that time)
>that
>I would support my people. I was quick to make this promise to them and
>happy to do so. Many people in this Barony came to me and asked that I
>would
>do whatever I could for the populace, win or lose. I gave them my word I
>would.
>
>My Kingdom and my People.
*****************************

Was it in those exact words "...Kingdom and my people..."? Or was it a
pledge to support the successful candidates no matter who they were? This is
an important point.

****************************
>When I said earlier that I was not oathbound to anyone in this Barony, that
>was true. I hold no oath to this Barony, but I am oathbound to every person
>in it. And that is the root of the problem.
>
>I love this Barony with all my heart. It sounds like a simple statement,
>and
>it does not do justice to what I feel for this place, but they are the only
>words I have. I would do anything for Raven's Fort. This was where I began,
>this place helped make me who I am. There is no doubt that, had I not
>become
>involved with this group when I did, today I would either be dead, in
>prison, or worse. Integrity was a fancy word until I came here and learned
>what it really meant.
>
>Yet now I must take an action which may help damage the very thing I love,
>and perhaps divide me from it permanetly.
>
>It has been said that some of the candidates did not have all the
>qualifications that were required. I cannot speak for the other candidates,
>but Katrine and I were asked about very few of the qualities which Kief
>mentioned. I am forced to wonder, "how does someone know about who I am and
>what I can do if he does not ask?"
>
>It is said that not all the candidates lacked transportation, that not all
>could afford the expense, and so on. I will assume these were directed at
>Katrine and myself, as I cannot speak for the others. This is for
>clarification purposes, not for the sake of a dispute.
>
>"The candidates needed to have working personal transportation." Unless I
>read my odometer wrong, I have put over three thousand miles on my car
>since
>this whole B&B thing started, and more than sixteen thousand so far this
>year. If that's not working transportation, I don't know what is.
******************

Cedric, is it your car or does it belong to someone else? I understood in
the past that it was your grandfather's car.

*******************
>"The candidates needed to be able to monetarily support the station of
>Baron
>and Baroness i.e. travel, clothes, et cetera." Unless someone has hacked
>into by bank account, how would anyone know without asking. Everyone knows
>I'm a penny-pincking fanatic who whines at spending $1.25 for coffee with
>unlimited refills. But that is exactly how
>
>Besides which, not all resources are financial. Both Katrine and I have
>been
>blessed with several people who have volunteered to support us in our
>efforts. Katrine has been offered a cost-free
****************************

Money *is* a very important issue when you are talking about a possibly
years long commitment to a duty and responsibility such as being Baron or
Baroness. I cannot tell you how many thousands of dollars I spent while I
sat as Landed Baron here in Raven's Fort for 5 years.

Note: This is where the first missive ends. In my long phone call to Cedric
following the receipt of his two letters this break was the result of a
button clicking editing error...much like the several I have made in the
past. *grin*

Second letter begins:

>From: "Peer2" <Peer2 at email.msn.com>
>To: <ravensfort at ansteorra.org>
>Subject: [Ravensfort] Perspectives, Part Two
>
>Ahem. Minor technical trouble. Sorry for the confusion.
>
>I realize I was getting long winded, so I will come to the point.
>
>Regarding the rest of the "qualifications", anyone who truly knows Katrine
>or myself knows that we meet and in some cases exceed each of them. To the
>best of my knowledge, that is true for every candidate.
**********************

I beg to disagree. But for the sake of brevity will not now argue these
points.

**********************
>With one exception.
>
>It should be obvious to any who are actually paying attention to something
>other than this list that the people of Raven's Fort are not at all
>satisfied with the way the polling and selection process went. I have
>talked
>to more than 50 people in this Barony since the Coronation. I have only
>heard three say anything positive about the way things went and ended.
***********************

Exactly which "more than 50 people"? I've been talking to quite a few in the
past several days and have not had the same impression that you say you have
received. Are we talking about the same people here? Or what?

And I have been paying close attention. To things like the numbers of people
that were at the polling meeting and those that may well have sent their
letters/poll to Their Highnesses now Majesties. Exactly how many of those
folks that you talked to actually expressed their opinion in the polling
process? It certainly could not have been all of them.

************************
>It in
>plain to me that the bulk of the populous do not now, nor have they ever,
>supported Kilas and Kezia for the positions of B&B.
*************************

Again I beg to disagree but only to a certain degree. I think that the
numbers were fairly evenly split as to the first choice on the polling.
Given that a perfect 4-way tie would have *each* set of candidates with an
apparent 75% liability...certainly not a majority poll. But, consider the
*second* choice spot on the polling slips. How many of the populace that
expressed their opinion in the poll wrote in Niklas and Kezia as their
*second* choice if their primary choice was not the clear majority winner?
Friends and neighbors...there was no clear *primary* choice winner. If there
had been a clear majority choice Their Highnesses would have announced the
successful candidates the evening of the polling. I do believe that Their
Highness stated so during the meeting. Their Highnesses then *had* to revert
to the *secondary* choice poll.

This opinion, of course, is mine and mine alone.

****************************
>There have already been several people file change-of-address forms to
>transfer their memberships to other groups. Many are waiting to see if
>Niklas and Kezia do indeed step up before following suite. There have been
>some people purchasing memberships for the first time, but they are using
>addresses in other branches.
*****************************

If this is true then I am sorry to see them go. However, it is their free
choice to literally "put their money where their mouth is" and vote with
their feet. Still, I am looking forward to the next several zip sort
membership rosters from the Office of the Registry to see if the numbers of
defecting paid members is as great as you make it out to be.

If there are first time membership buyers out there that are actually buying
memberships in *protest* of the Crown's choice then that's okay as well...at
least the Kingdom of Ansteorra and the surrounding groups will benefit from
the Crown's choice.

However, I would urge you all to take a step back and wait a bit. I do
believe that Niklas and Kezia will be excellent Nobles here in Raven's Fort.
Why not wait and see? You all can split after you are proven right...but can
certainly stay and grow with the Barony if your expectations are not as dire
as you now believe.

***********************
>More than a few have vowed not to allow one
>penny of their money to be spent on Raven's Fort. Sadly, this trend is
>likely to continue. I am not talking about an insignificant number, but
>more
>than a dozen. This Barony is not so secure that it can afford such a loss.
************************

I would certainly like to know who these folks are...just for my own
amusement...that way I can check and see if they attend any future Raven's
Fort events. Then I can point and laugh...after all gate fees and feast fees
*are* money spent on Raven's Fort. Otherwise their threats are hollow ones.

Again, if those folks want to disassociate themselves from the Barony it's
their free choice. I will certainly hate to see them go but I will not force
anyone to stay where they don't want to be...

*************************
>I do believe that constitutes substantive opposition.
*************************

I, again, disagree. Under your definition of "substantive opposition" *all*
of the candidates would have been disallowed... That pesky 75% possible poll
*against* each of the couples given a 4-way tie... As well, I have not seen
any of their names, nor have they expressed their sentiments in a public
forum such as this list.

(Note: Cedric and I did talk about some of the folks that have expressed
their feelings with action...but I will not name them here. I will let them
or him make their names public if they so will it.)

**********************
>Why have they not made their beliefs known? Simple. They do not want to be
>attacked for speaking out. They do not want to risk any ostracism, much as
>am doing now.
**********************

I will not ostracize you...nor them if they so chose to speak in a public
forum. In fact I applaud your courage and frankness. You are a good and true
man to stand for your beliefs. I certainly do not agree with you but I damn
sure respect you for your forthright and public approach to these matters.

**********************
>A few days ago, I was approached by several people of like mind. They asked
>me to be their liason and spokesman for a new Shire which is to be formed
>from the southern areas of the Barony. I accepted this honor
>enthusiastically. Better to have our people in their own lands under a new
>name than to have them become some strange kind of refugees in self-imposed
>exile.
**********************

Hmmmm...to quote Milton, "...'Tis better to Rule in Hell than Serve in
Heaven...".

However, there is a slight problem in the formation of a new group from an
existing group's zip codes/boundries... You have to have permission of the
original group to aquire those areas. That permission would have to come
from the current Baron and Baroness...as well as the current Seneschal. I
think that you all can see the problem inherent in this course of action.

************************
>This is not a recent effort. Many have been calling for a seperate group
>for
>quite some time. This has been tried unsuccessfully in the past, but only
>with small groups with limited numbers. That is no longer a problem.
************************

True...the past Cantons of Raven's Fort had as many as 15 to 20 paid members
at various points in their existence. You do have at least that many paid
members don't you?

Another question or two: Who exactly are going to be the officers of your
new group? Have they taken the appropriate classes from the Seneschal, the
Treasurer, the Herald, the Marshalate (both Heavy and/or Rapier), et
cetera...? Are they all paid members of the SCA Inc.? How many of your folks
have held office recently?

I have heard, second and third hand admittedly, that quite a few of your
friends and house members don't want the responsibility of office nor the
duty entailed in long term service to a group. How does those sentiments
mesh with your cadre's desires to form a new SCA chapter?

I am not trying to stir up anything here...well maybe a little bit... But,
these are serious questions and you all need to answer each of them, and
quite a few more, *before* you start the process of trying to form a new
group.

********************
>On the personal level, this allows me to fullfill my promise to everyone;
>support the people, and do whatever I can to help them. I thank those who
>made it possible for me to avoid disgracing myself a second time by failing
>to honor a promise.
*********************

Again, I request the exact wording or nearly so of the oath you made to the
Crown Heirs shortly before Their Coronation.

While this may seem quite picky to you...I assure you it is vitally
important to the King and Queen of Ansteorra.

I also say that you did not disgrace yourself in the first place. You tried
to have all the questions answered before the polling...but, remember, there
just wasn't enough time to ask all of them. You cannot be held in contempt
nor disgrace if you strove to the best of your ability to fulfill your vow.

Please consider my words carefully. I, for one, do not want you to fall
short of any oaths that you may have given. So, consider your words to the
Crown and look at what *They* understood your oath to mean.

*******************
>I cannot say this causes me any pleasure, because I know it will certainly
>cause hardship to the Barony which has been so good to me. But I will not
>break my word to my Kingdom or my People, especially when I truly believe
>in
>what we are doing.
*******************

Again, please consider the true wording and meaning of your oath to the
Crown. If you must do what you heart calls you to do...then do it you must.
However, it will be a hard road following a hard choice. Please expect
opposition from many quarters. If you succeed in your endeavors I will
salute you for a fight well won... But, if you fail in your attempt then I
will be the first to welcome you back should you choose to return. Of
course, I would prefer for you all to wait a time. I do not believe that
your apprehensions will be borne out. Patience is a hard won but excellent
virtue.

*****************************
>All members and non-members who reside in Montgomery, Liberty, San Jacinto,
>and Polk counties, feel free to contact me. All matters dealing with the
>Shire will be handled through my personal e-mail account at
>fuzzybreeks at yahoo.com . I will be contacting you as soon as possible with
>current developments.
*****************************

And I call on all members and non-members in Montgomery, Liberty, San
Jacinto, and Polk counties to remain true to the Barony that we all have
worked so hard to build. To contact the current Baron and Baroness as well
as the incoming Baron and Baroness to solve any problems that you have. As
well, if you have questions about any of the proceedings or procedures
contact the Regional Seneschal, or even Their Majesties if Mistress
Clarissa's answers are not sufficient.

>I wish you all the best of luck.
>
>-- Ld. Cedric Aeschere Einarsson
>Fuzzybreeks at yahoo.com

In Love, Respect, and Service to Barony and Kingdom...

Wæs Þu Hæl in TroÞ and FriÞ...!
Kief
"Better the Hammer than the nail..."