[Ravensfort] Politics, schmolitics

Laughing Boy pantelone at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 00:42:19 PDT 2001

Greetings to the list,

Many of you probably don't know me, and many of those that do probably want
to forget me, but that is neither here nor there.

I have been reading this list since it's inception, since I too will always
consider myself a Raven's Forter, even though mundane considerations made it
difficult for my family and I to remain in the area.

Politics are another reason.  I have not played in several years due to
politics rearing their ugly head, no matter what group I have tried to play
with.

To attempt to make my point without rambling anymore, politics are, and will
always be, part of any and every SCA group.  In fact, my very first populace
meeting (attended with my roommate now known as Athaulf, being his first
meeting too) just happened to be the meeting that Joffrey (sp) stood up and
basically told the entire group to take a fast flying one.  If you have been
around long enough to know who and what I am talking about, more power to
you, my brother.  I hope I do not offend Athaulf when I say that after the
meeting, we both discussed whether or not we would come back after such a
debacle.  However, we both were quick enough to realize that one
person/faction does not a group make.  That night I met a great number of
persons who have left their mark upon myself to this day.  Please forgive me
for not mentioning titles, for I have been away so long I know not what is
current or correct, but I made the acquaintance of (listed in no specific
order)Devin, Moriel, Morven, Twin Cedars, Kief, Alix, Helmut, Cedric,
Jacinth, Detlef, and many more. The majority of those listed I still
consider good friends, and hope it will always be that way.  Those persons
are the reason I returned after that first meeting, and I had a few very fun
years with the group.  I would venture to say that Athaulf too realized that
there was far more offered from the persons of the group than those who
presented themselves to the populace that night, but that would be his tale
to tell.

In short, there is always going to be conflict, and without it the Barony
would only stagnate.  Whether you like someone or not personally, when it
gets to the professional level, you are all part of the same organization,
currently called the Barony of Raven's Fort.  If one can transcend the
personal for the group, then the Barony has naught to fear.  And you know
what?  The Barony is still standing strong from what I hear and see.

Athaulf, Kief, the voice of reason suits you well, as it always has.
Jacinth, you too are one who has always maintained dignity during adversity.
  I don't want to leave anyone out, but of those I wish to commend that have
commented about this latest topic, these are the only ones I know personally
and not only from a list of mail online.  There are others who seem to share
the sentiments that those mentioned and I do, and it is good to see the
support.

I will not even address the threat topic, those who stoop to that extreme
are far beneath conversation.  I am confident that in the long run, they
will be dealt with appropriately.

I realize this missive is probably very disjointed, and as I am not too
awake currently, I really don't care.  Heh.

Keep on keeping on my brothers, and I truly hope my message can be seen
through the prattling above.  From Ames Dunam to Barony, Raven's Fort has
always held, and from my outside viewpoint, it seems it always will.  I am
proud to say I was at the Baronial Investiture, and will always get chills
down my spine when I recall the sound of the horns cutting through the night
around the Stones.  Athaulf, even though I regret not being there when it
happened, I do share from your tales why the new Stones are special to you,
and I thank you for giving as you have to help consecrate the new Stones to
give that same Raven's Fort feeling to all who continue to play on the site,
whether it is home site or not.  Kief, well, you're still Kief, and that is
far more than can be said for many.  In the few years I was around you, I
learned far more than any textbook may share.  I thank both of you, Kief and
Athaulf, for the lessons you have imparted.

Off the soapbox now.

Then known as Martin O'Fallon,
now known as Ruga
MKA Lance
Raven's Forter (at least in my own thoughts) since CE 1989

I welcome any responses any may have, whether personal or public.