[Ravensfort] To the List

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Thu Jul 26 03:00:15 PDT 2001

dux ducis,  m. (1) a guide, conductor. (2) a leader, ruler, commander.
impavidus -a -um, fearless, undaunted.

>PPS : To Charley. Uh...as near as I have been able to put together, “Dux
>Impavidus” means “Fearless Leader” or more accurately “Fearless
>General”. If I
>am incorrect, please tell me. I mean, I look silly enough as it is.

You are correct, but I might point out to you that the Roman meaning of
these words and the English meaning slip a little. In period the word dux
would have meant Duke.

Rex king
Dux Duke
Princeps Prince

These terms all have a different meaning in a monarch style government than
they would in a republic. Technically in the SCA time period, the Latin that
would be used is called a "Vulgate." If your persona is early like the Swein
Brothars, then your interpretation is correct. If you are later than about
500 CE then your title means Fearless Duke. Since Duke is a royal title, I
would be afraid of offending a real duke. There are however other SCA people
who have given themselves royal titles. (King of the fire monkeys) I
personally would change my title to Imperator Impavidus which would be
Fearless general. Since the rank of General does not have an SCA equivalent
royal title.