[Ravensfort] Request for Coronation (artisans!)

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Fri Jun 8 07:30:45 PDT 2001

Unto the list,

The Barony of Steppes is putting together a banner to be presented to
their soon to be Majesties at Coronation.  Our part should be fairly
easy, but it is of utmost importance that we fulfill the request.  I've
snipped the details below from HE Fritz' posts to the Barony list.

You will notice there are actually two separate requests.  The first is
the one we should be the most concerned with.   The second is thrown in
for any who care to participate in the "Steppes Banner Tourney".

***I request that someone please take up this project.  Plan 'B' will be
an iron-on transfer.  I'd really prefer to not see our Barony's device
displayed as a melted bit of artificial rubber amongst a glory full
field of handcrafted and lovingly created patchwork.***

1) " ....... the idea of  creating a Coronation / traveling
banner for the Crown came up in one of our meetings. Eventually the idea

of a large Ansteorrian Star on a yellow field with the insignia of each
of the Baronies, Shires, Cantons, Strongholds et. circling around the
Star of Ansteorra - think the sun with planets revolving around it- came

up. It would hang behind the thrones when ever there Majs. wanted a
background to sit in front of."

"The baronies (planets) would have their cantons and colleges circling
around them (moons), the shires would be placed in proximity to the
baronies that sponsor them etc...."

"....I thought it might be a good idea to see if you , my good cousins,
could ask
members of your populace to do your own heraldry. In order for this to
roll or fold nicely I was hoping to keep the "patches" soft - appliqué,
needle work, et. not painted if possible."

"I have roughly drawn it out and feel that if the Barony's device are 1
foot in diameter, the Shires are 9 inches dia..., the cantons 6 inches
and the colleges, strongholds, et where 4 inches we can fit it all on a
banner of reasonable size to be used at events."

"Steppes will do the base background and star as well as hanging
hardware
and the stitching down."

"I really need them by June 21st."

2)  Steppes has been asked to do the decorations for the upcoming
Coronation
of TRH Duncan and Larrisa. To that end Steppes is sponsoring a banner
painting contest within our own group to generate Barony owned banners
for future decorating needs as well as the current needs of coronation.
If you would like to encourage your groups to participate in this "
Banner Tournament "  we would be most grateful; obviously I not
suggesting you are your people donate the banners to the Steppes but
this "tournament" might provide some impetus to get some banners for
your own groups. We - meaning as many of you that I can get to help
judge with me - will be judging the banners at Coronation. We can take
these banners at coronation and hang them that day. I will provide a
prize for the winner.

thanks,
dsd,
melted rubber hater and recent convert to Frisbatarianism