[Ravensfort] Just to set the record straight...

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Tue May 22 10:47:28 PDT 2001

I did it Ragan.  There was no "La Bouche" conspiracy.  No sum total populous
input to defame you. I did it.  What's more I told you I did it, apologized to
you and offered a process by which to fix the error.  Since that was not enough,
I do hearby make public my error.

About three years ago, you were on the list to get a second thistle.  You
deserved it and the "inner circle" of people the B&B consult (so they don't make
ass of themselves and the Barony) agreed.  Only problem was, come time to write
the award recommendation, we didn't have the correct spelling of your name nor
for that matter did we even know your full SCA moniker.  So, it had to wait,
plain and simple. When we offered an alternate "thank you" you had a tantrum, in
court, in public, making an ass of me, Chrystal, and certainly of yourself.  Any
gracious or grateful thoughts were gone.  To confer the award at that point,
regardless of its merit,  would have eroded Baronial confidence in us and
exhibited every appearance of giving in to wails of a cry baby.

The year that followed, you were a very different person.  Civil, low-key and
focused on various A&S activities, including more scrolls and bone work.  When
the suggestion was brought up again concerning giving you a thistle, it was
greatly opposed (yes, by the "inner circle" of people with whom the B&B consult
so they don't make ass of themselves or the Barony).  However, my gut said you
deserved it, and Chrystal agreed, it was below our station to hold deserved
recognition hostage.

Only problem was, come time to put in the recommendation, I still didn't know
your friggin full SCA name.  I remembered it as something similar to Sir Alexis
la Bouche's.  In fact, what I did was confuse your mundane name in there and
thought it was "Laurent Ragan la Bouche".  It was under two weeks to the event
and it was either put off the award again or go with what I thought was correct.

As far as French translation, well there was none.  I did not know what it
meant.  Didn't care, didn't look it up, didn't consult anyone on it.  Happy
coincidence that it means "the Mouth" which fits your temperament succinctly,
however, it was purely coincidental and unintended as a slight in any way.

Once I knew the error, I spoke to you about it, told you what had happened, how
it occurred, and how we could fix it before it was registered erroneously with
the College of Heralds.  As a result, the Order of Precedence was updated with
the correct name, Laurent Ragan Rutheven.  'Nuf said.

Now if I can just get to the other dozen knives in my back at the moment...

David St. David, Ravens Fort