[Ravensfort] Candidate Discussion

clarissa clarissa at supportyou.com
Mon May 21 21:08:58 PDT 2001

Greetings to the Fine Barony of Ravensfort
from Mistress Clarissa, Southern Regional Seneschal,

There have been some questions about how candidate discussions should
take place and what campaigning does and does not mean. Its really
simple. Modern campaigns where candidates say "I want to be your B&B
because of X - AND - so and so should not because (mud slung here)"
campaigns do not belong in a Society that is based on nobility, grace,
and chivalry. The rules are simple: Candidates may not talk badly (truth
or otherwise) about other candidates. Candidates should display the
nobility that they seek. Candidates should certainly answer 'Yes' if they
are ask if they want to be B&B (if they are interested). Candidates
should answer any civil questions the populace asks.  Candidates can
discuss Baronial issues and the future of the Barony as any member of the
populace may.

On the mail list, suggesting a couple as candidates is fine. I encourage
the mail list to be used to discuss the qualities you require in a Baron
and Baroness. I encourage you all to discuss where you would like the
Barony to go over the next 4-5 years. Knowing what you want in a
candidate and the direction of the barony will certainly make your
decisions much easier in the long run.

However, I discourage the mail list as the forum for discussing the
individual traits of the candidates - good or bad. The members of the
Barony of Ravensfort MUST continue to work together after the choice is
made. Whatever you say on a public mail list can be and probably will be
floating around forever. It can damage respect. It can damage
friendships. It can damage the working relationship the members of your
Barony have with each other.  Is that what Ravensfort really wants?  All
of you can call each other, drop by each other's houses, send private
emails. A mail list is only ONE way to communicate.

In the end, the polling is private and anonymous. It is an individual
decision each of you will have to make. All the talking and discussion
can help you see points you didn't see before but in the end its still an
individual decision.

Please, please think about what you say before you say it on the mail
list. Think about whether you want it to see it brought back 2 years from
now. Would you want someone to say it of you? Really? Someone you thought
of as a friend? How black and white is the 'truth' you see? Are there no
other possible interpretations?  I know discussion is important. I simply
believe civil and polite discussion is better for everyone.

Everyone should keep in mind that being Baron and Baroness is an honor
that is earned from hard work that the populace of the Barony and Their
Highnesses recognize. Its comes with the price of more hard work.

Mistress Clarissa di Firenze, Baroness of the Court
(Dottie Elliott)
Southern Regional Seneschal
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Kingdom of Ansteorra