[Ravensfort] Baroness' Bardic at Defender

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 07:14:57 PDT 2002

>      As you said, House Pharus prefers not to hold "official" bardic circles.
> This is because in the past, these officially sponsored bardic circles
> inevitably turn into a competition with some sort of "prize".

I believe that our Barony has sponsored only one or two bardic "circles"
since H.E. Alix stepped down (nine years ago)
...the rest have been "competitions" and stated as such...

In my vast travels over this land..."circle" denotes a usually
loosly structured non-competive format whether "official" (SCA sponsored)
or not. "competition" on the other hand is structured toward a winner...
whether sponsored by an SCA group or a household...
Occaisionally a few well meaning but uneducated individuals
confuse them...but not often...

>     So, is this going to be a day-time activity or a post-court one?  Either
> one sounds great.  If I can (time permitting), I'll probably wander over and belt
> a few out myself.

post court...

>      Actually, if I may be so bold, a feast-time bardic would be neat as well.
> Probably not for Defender, as we pretty much have that one booked, but how
> about another event?

Anything held during feast does not allow the B&B to give appropriate
attention to the performers (especially if court is after feast)
...and a very LARGE amount of people do not wish to perform in
such a large format nor are able to perform over the clanging
of dishes and small talk...

for myself...I despise "hostage theater"...and usually treat any performanc
during a feast as background...

All I want at feast is for the food to come out in a reasonable time
and the food to be edible...all too often feasts drag on for hours...
and the food is marginally okay...

Lorraine