[Ravensfort] Enough...

Mary R rufus67 at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 15:38:23 PDT 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Just thought I would add my two cents worth.  My first event was "A Day in/at
the Garden".  I have been around a little while now, but know that I am still
considered a "newbie".  So here goes...

Before I attended my first Ravensfort Event, I was told to try and find garb
that was as close to period as possible.  My friends were also finding me
loaner garb to wear, but I eventually purchased something from the Market.  I
was "warned" that there may be people out there who would give me a "hard"
time if my clothes were not "right", but that if that should happen to tell
them and they would straighten it out for me.  Nobody ever said a word to me
on my clothes except to compliment them and ask where I got them from.  I was
lucky.  I have since brought a few people (newbies) to events and always try
to have something for them to wear.  This is the way I have tried to solve
that problem.  It was not hard and I recommend trying it.

As for Ragan..hey I gotta admit that I thought he was a "bit" strange, but as
you can see he didn't "run" me off.  In fact, I have to agree with Simon Orom
that he welcomed me with open arms and has always been very nice to me.  He
has never made me feel less than and for that I will always be grateful.

That's it.  Let's make this work.  We have work to do. :o)

~Mary of Axefoot

---------------------------------------
----Original Message Follows----
From: "Joy Midkiff"
It WOULD be nice to pretend that ragan was our only problem, indead the sca's
ONLY problem when it comes to keeping newcomers but in truth, he is not. The
first two years of being in the sca seems to ALWAYS draw the (&%$^%$*&&%&^)s.
Its good to point out the phanomonon that there are and will always be people
who attack newbies for bad/no garb, etc. Its WRONG,
but until people grow up it'll always be that way. And i must say, though im
SURE he HAS scared many a person, and although i dont think ragan will ever
act like we would like him too, Ragan was one of the FEW people who was ALWAYS
nice to me when I was a newbie. He was one of the people who got me to stay in
the sca until i could find my own footing, and there were ALOT of
MEAN people in ravens fort and outside of ravens fort who tried run me off.
Instead of spawning MORE childish bickering, I would LIKE to think that this
being pointed out would cause us to examine how WE personally veiw and treat
newbies, and what WE could do to help our barony more newbie frendly. Our
baron and baroness is determined that we grow in size during their reign.
Lets see what WE can do to help in their efforts to attract and KEEP anyone
who may be interested in joining us. After all, although some of us may have a
HARD time remembering it, WE were all once newbies too.
in service,
-joy midkiff
simon orom