[Ravensfort] 1st Event Cards--A Few Questions

Paul Gilbert niklas at pbgilbert.net
Wed Feb 5 14:56:59 PST 2003

Let me take off my hat for a moment and respond as a former Reeve and a
member of the Barony.

At 08:36 AM 2/5/03 -0600, you wrote:
>I am currently editing the Baronial Gate Handbook
>and am looking for the populace's views on our 1st
>SCA event cards (the "Get in Free Cards").
>
>Please be honest in your answers to these questios.
>
>1.  Do you think they are useful?  Why? or Why not?

Yes, they are useful. They give that added incentive to a person that is
interested in coming to an event.....called !Free! entrance.

>2.  Do you think the priviledge of their use
>is "abused?"  If so how and why?

Yes, it has been in the past. Not so much recently (past year of so) but it
has been abused. This is why we went to a "ticket" pass system. To gain
control over the abuses and be sure who was getting free, really deserved it.

Now with the new gate procedures and NMS, it is even more important that we
have a true count and proper usage of the tickets.

However, they do make one heck of a bookkeeping nightmare. I am sure that
is where Isobail's main concern comes from.

Now how do we solve this problem?....suggestions? Please keep in mind the
end result we are seeking and the need for simplicity and accounting control.

>3.  How would you feel if we discontinued their use?

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm, don't know. I like the incentive of get in free for 1st
timers, but is it worth the overhead in dealing with it?

Printing the tickets is easy. Sending them out is easy. I would suggest we
do not have them at the gate. Most of the time if a 1st timer comes to an
event, they are with someone who has been before and knows they are coming.
They can obtain the tickets from an officer or B&B prior to the
event.  Also limit the number available for an event. Just like a comp pass
for a concert.

I see a two edged sword on this matter. We need to grind it down to a decision.

HE Niklas

Paul Gilbert,   KE5ZW                   H.E. Niklas Vasilevich,
Huntsville, Texas                       Baron of The Barony Raven's Fort
niklas at pbgilbert.net                    CSM, Crane, ORH, KGA , AoA
936-291-9532 home                               Kingdom of Ansteorra
936-581-5632 cellular                           Society for Creative
Anachronism
                               AIM Name: KE5ZW